In this post we will go over one of the tastiest breakfast there is – an easy shakshuka recipe for one. Let’s get right into it!
So what will you need to make a great shakshuka, not much actually:
- Eggs. 2 will make for a good portion for one.
- Olive oil.
- Crushed Tomatoes or peeled tomatoes. Canned are perfect for this.
- Half of an onion (diced)
- Half of a red bell pepper – diced (green works well too)
- Clove of garlic, chopped.
- Tomato paste – 1/2 tbs
- Cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Paprika – 1/2 tsp
- Chili – a pinch, depending on your preferences.
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Parsley or Cilantro – to taste
How do you cook it?
- On medium heat, preheat your pan.
- Add olive oil, wait for a bit so it warms up.
- Add chopped onions and red bell pepper.
- When they soften up and onions are translucent, add garlic.
- After garlic is also a bit translucent, add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add your spices – a pinch of chili, paprika, and cumin go in now.
- Mix it all up and let it simmer for a bit, if needed lower the heat.
- After all the ingredients got nice and friendly with each other, (roughly 2-3 minutes) with a spatula create a well in your sauce, into this well break an egg (if you have two eggs – that means two wells).
- Cover with a lid or with a foil, and let it simmer until the eggs are of desired consistency. I like the egg whites cooked through while the yolk is still a bit runny. That is roughly 2-3 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove the cover, add cilantro and/or parsley, and voila you are done!
There you have it! A very tasty and easy shakshuka recipe for one.