How long to cook chorizo? Chorizo sausage doesn’t take much time to cook. Slice chorizo into smaller pieces. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, you will need to cook those chorizo slices for 5-6 minutes, occasionally flipping them.
There are two types of chorizo sausages: Mexican chorizo and Spanish chorizo. Mexican chorizo is made of fresh pork. It is soft and raw and needs to be cooked before eating. Spanish chorizo is semi-hard and smoked, so you can eat it without cooking it. In this article, we will show you the cooking times for raw chorizo.
How Long To Cook Chorizo?
The fastest and easiest way to cook chorizo is in a large skillet. Simply preheat the skillet without oil, chop the chorizo into 2-inch slices and cook for 5-6 minutes, with occasional flipping. You don’t need to add any oil because the chorizo is full of pork fat, which will melt during the cooking process.
How Long To Cook Chorizo Sausage?
Chorizo sausage links need to be cooked for 15-20 minutes over medium heat. Once cooked, their color will change from bright red to dull red or even light brown. The inside of the uncooked chorizo sausage is mushy and sticky, but when you fully cook it, the insides will resemble ground beef.
You can also use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Once the temperature reaches 160 degrees F, you will know the chorizo sausage is fully cooked.
How Long To Cook Chorizo And Eggs?
You will need approximately 10–15 minutes to cook chorizo and eggs.
- In a non-stick frying pan, add the chorizo sausage and break it apart using a fork or spatula.
- Fry for 5-10 minutes, or until the chorizo starts browning, frequently stirring.
- If you aren’t using lean chorizo, drain the excess fat after it melts from the chorizo.
- Crack two eggs and add them to the pan.
- Stir everything together and fry until the eggs are cooked to your taste.
How Long To Cook Chorizo In Oven?
You will need to cook chorizo sausage in the oven for 12 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lay chorizo sausage links on a baking tray and brush them with olive oil.
- Chop 1 onion and 4 garlic cloves and place them around the sausages.
- Bake for 12 minutes, flipping the sausages halfway through the cooking time.
How Long To Cook Chorizo Fry?
You can also try cooking chorizo slices. It will be much faster than cooking the whole sausages. Finely chop each sausage into 0.2-inch pieces and put them into preheated skillet. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Chorizo will be brown and fully cooked.
How Long To Cook Chorizo In Air Fryer?
You can cook chorizo in the air fryer. You just need to slice them into 2-inch thick slices. Put them into the air fryer basket and cook at 380 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Don’t forget to flip them halfway through the cooking time so that they can cook evenly.
How Long To Cook Chorizo Sausage On Stove?
Another way of cooking chorizo links is to boil them.
- In a large heated saucepan, add chorizo sausages and enough water to cover the sausages.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and start boiling chorizo.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes, turning each sausage halfway through the cooking time.
- Take off the lid and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes until the sausages become brown.
In total, you will need 15-19 minutes to cook chorizo sausage in boiling water on a stove.
How Long To Cook Chorizo On Grill?
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Place the sausages on the grill grates and cover the lid.
- You should grill chorizo sausages for 15-20 minutes, flipping them every few minutes so that they get a perfect golden brown color on each side.
If in doubt, use a meat thermometer to check if the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F. If not, grill for another 3-5 minutes.
How Do You Know When Chorizo Is Done Cooking?
When you cook the chorizo, it can be hard to say if it’s fully cooked and ready to be served or if you need to cook it a bit longer. However, there are some ways to check if it’s cooked or not:
- Meat thermometer: always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. If the temperature is 160 degrees F, the sausage is fully cooked and safe to eat.
- Time: if you cooked chorizo sausage for 15-20 minutes over medium or medium-high heat, it should be done by now.
- Texture: check the inside texture of the sausage. If it’s soft and sticky, cook it for 5 more minutes. If it’s firm, it is done.
- Color: raw chorizo has a bright red color, and when you cook it, it will become dull red or light brown.
Does Chorizo Take A Long Time To Cook?
If you wonder whether the chorizo sausage cooking takes a long time, then you should know that it cooks quite quickly. A whole sausage will take 15-20 minutes to cook over medium-high heat, but you can make the cooking time much shorter by chopping chorizo sausage into smaller pieces. Then, it will take you 10-12 minutes, or shorter, depending on the cooking temperature.
You can also break apart chorizo sausage with a fork or spatula and cook the ground chorizo meat from inside the sausage. This will take you 5-6 minutes.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Fresh Chorizo?
The time needed to cook fresh chorizo may vary depending on whether you cook it as a whole sausage or you slice it into smaller pieces. Also, the cooking temperature plays a major role in the cooking time.
In general, you will need anywhere from 5-6 minutes to cook sliced chorizo over medium-high heat to 15-20 minutes to cook a whole fresh chorizo sausage over medium to medium-high heat.
What Happens If You Eat Undercooked Chorizo?
If you are eating Spanish chorizo, nothing will happen because it is cured, smoked, and safe to eat without further cooking. However, if you try to eat Mexican chorizo without cooking, you risk food poisoning because of pathogens that can be found in raw minced pork.
Now you know how long to cook chorizo. Simply cut this spicy sausage into smaller pieces (2-inch thick is good enough), and cook them in a preheated skillet for 5-6 minutes, occasionally flipping.