How to cook a picnic ham? The easiest way is to cook a picnic ham – is in the oven. Bake in the preheated oven at 325 degrees F, covered in foil for 2-3 hours, or until it reaches the internal temperature of 140 degrees F. Uncover the ham and bake for another 20-25 minutes at 450 degrees F.
How To Cook A Picnic Ham?
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place your picnic ham into the shallow roasting pan and cover it with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 2-3 hours, or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 140 degrees F (use a meat thermometer).
- Increase the oven heat to 450 degrees F.
- Uncover the ham and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
How To Cook A Picnic Ham In The Oven?
If you want to cook a picnic ham in the oven and make it caramelized with a light brown sugar glaze, you should try this recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place picnic ham in a large roasting pan, with fat side up.
- Pour 3/4 cup of water into the roasting pan and cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Roast for 1 hour.
- Uncover the pan and peel off the top of the fat cap on the meat.
- Cut cross-check slits deep enough to cut through the fat and 1/2 inch into the meat.
- In a blender or food processor, mix 2 peeled oranges, 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar, 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup honey, 2 tablespoons of mustard, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Brush one part of this glaze into the ham.
- Bake the ham for another 1 hour at 425 degrees F, and brush it with more glaze.
- Bake for another 30 minutes and brush again with glaze.
- Bake for additional 30 minutes and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
How To Cook A Picnic Ham In A Crock Pot?
- Trim the skin and fat part off the ham.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar into the crockpot and spread it over the bottom.
- Place ham into the crockpot.
- Rub 1/2 cup of brown sugar over the ham.
- Cover the crockpot with a lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
How To Cook A Picnic Ham In A Pressure Cooker?
- Pour 2 cans of pineapple slices together with the juice into the instant pot.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves and 2 tablespoons of ground dry mustard.
- Place your smoked ham in a trivet and into the instant pot.
- Pour 1/2 cup of honey over the ham.
- Cover the lid and set the cooking time to 20 minutes.
- Once the cooking time goes by, let the steam release naturally for 25 minutes.
How To Cook A Picnic Ham On The Stove?
You can also cook ham on the stove, just follow these steps:
- In a large pot, place your smoked ham or smoked pork shoulder and pour enough water to cover the ham for at least 2 inches.
- Bring the water to a boil and remove any foam that appears on the top.
- Once the water starts boiling, reduce the heat and cover the pot.
- Cook for 20 minutes per pound.
- Let the ham cool and rest for at least 1 hour before serving.
How To Cook A Picnic Ham On The Grill?
- Preheat your grill to 250 degrees F.
- Spray grill grates with cooking oil.
- Sprinkle smoked picnic ham with your favorite BBQ spices.
- Place the ham directly on the grill grate.
- Cook for 4-5 hours.
- For a better taste, combine 8 oz of apple juice, pineapple juice, and red wine vinegar, and spray the ham with this mixture every hour.
How To Cook A Picnic Ham In A Dutch Oven?
- Preheat your Dutch oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the baking dish with cooking oil.
- Place your picnic ham on the baking dish.
- Cut cross-check slits into your ham.
- Chop 1 onion and push slices into the ham slits.
- Combine brown sugar, pineapple juice, and honey, and pour this mixture over the ham.
- Lay fresh thyme sprigs around the ham.
- Cover with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve your baked picnic ham with mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables.
How To Cook A Picnic Ham With Coke?
You can use Coca-Cola to glaze your picnic ham pork shoulder.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the baking tray with cooking oil.
- Place your picnic ham in the baking tray and rub it with brown sugar.
- Pour 1 can of Coca-Cola over the ham.
- Cover the ham and bake for 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, uncover and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Using a spoon, grab the glaze from the bottom of the baking tray and pour the glaze over the baked ham.
Is A Picnic Ham Already Cooked?
Technically, a picnic ham is already cooked, but because of the high-fat content, you need to additionally cook it to achieve a full flavor and a perfect texture.
How Many Minutes Per Pound Do You Cook A Picnic Ham?
Picnic ham needs to be baked for 18-22 minutes per pound. If you cook it on a stove, you will need 20 minutes of cooking time per pound.
What Is The Difference Between A Picnic Ham And A Regular Ham?
The biggest difference between a fresh ham and picnic hams is that picnic hams are cured and smoked. Picnic ham is a bit tougher than traditional ham because the traditional ham comes from the pig’s back leg, and the picnic ham comes from a pork shoulder (upper part of the front leg). Also, picnic ham often contains part of the bone still attached to the meat.
Should Ham Be Cooked Covered Or Uncovered?
You should always cover ham while cooking, either with aluminum foil or with a lid. This way, you will prevent the moisture and ham juices from evaporating, and your ham will remain juicy and full of flavor.
Now you know how to cook a picnic ham. Simply preheat your oven to 325 degrees F, place picnic ham on the baking tray and cover with foil. Bake for 2-3 hours, uncover the ham and increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees F, and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Bon appetite!