How to cook a Pikes Peak roast? Preheat the grill to 300 degrees F, rub the spice mixture into the meat, and grill the beef roast for 90 minutes, flipping it halfway through the cooking time. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. Thinly slice the meat and serve in a sandwich or another way you prefer it.
Pike’s Peak roast is the toughest of round roasts, it is full of flavor, but it requires slow cooking at lower temperatures. Pike’s Peak roast is a great substitute for a chuck roast. Keep reading this article to learn more!
Table of Contents
How To Cook A Pikes Peak Roast?
The easiest way to cook a piece of Pike’s Peak roast is to grill it over a low temperature.
- Preheat your grill to 300 degrees F.
- Brush your Pikes Peak roast lightly with olive oil and season with salt, black pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
- Place the meat on the grill and start grilling.
- Grill for 90 minutes, flipping at least once halfway through the cooking time.
- For more tender roast beef, cook for additional 10-15 minutes.
Alternatively, you can use inspiration from this roast recipe from Jamie Oliver. The approach is pretty much the same, you just need to adjust for the type of meat that you working with:
How To Slow Cook A Pikes Peak Roast?
The Pike’s Peak is best when cooked in a slow cooker. To make a crock-pot roast, simply follow this pikes peak roast recipe:
- In a large skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet.
- Chop two onions and six carrots.
- Sear the meat in hot oil for one minute per side.
- Remove the meat from the skillet and place it into the slow cooker.
- Add carrots, onion, 2 cups of beef stock, one teaspoon dried rosemary, and one teaspoon dried thyme.
- Add 3-4 cups water, cover the pot, and start slow cooking.
- Cook for 4 hours, or until you can break the meat easily with your fork.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy.
How Long To Cook A Pikes Peak Roast In Oven?
If you want to cook a Pikes Peak roast in an oven, you will need to cook it slowly at a relatively low temperature. At 320 degrees F, cook your Pikes Peak roast for 1,5-2 hours, depending on the desired doneness level.
When in doubt, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature, which should be at least 140 degrees F.
How Long To Cook A Pikes Peak Roast In Instant Pot?
You should cook a Pike’s Peak roast for 1 hour in an instant pot, not longer, unless you want to eat dry and flavorless meat. The best way to cook a Pike’s Peak roast in the instant pot is to sear it first in a skillet to keep the juice and flavor inside.
Once seared, place the Peak roast into the instant pot, add beef broth, vegetables, seasonings, and cook for 60 minutes on high. Release the steam naturally for 10 minutes, then quickly release the remaining steam. This way, you will have a delicious roast cooked in no time.
Is A Pikes Peak Roast Tender?
Pike’s Peak Roast meat is lean full of flavor, but it’s the least tender roast of all. It is similar to the rump roast, as both roasts are lean and less tender than the other roasts. Pike’s Peak roast is cut from low of the round primal cut of the cow.
Because of its lower tenderness, you should avid cooking Pike’s Peak roast at high temperatures and for too long. Using lower cooking temperatures and slowly cooking it will help the meat keep its flavor and juiciness.
What’s The Best Way To Cook A Tough Roast?
When you want to roast meat that’s really tough, there are some tips to make it more tender and delicious:
- Use a meat tenderizer to make it more tender.
- Let it sit in a marinade for at least 1 hour before cooking.
- If cooking from refrigerated, let it sit at room temperature for at least half an hour before cooking.
- Sear it in the roasting pan first to trap the flavor and juice inside.
- Cook at low temperature and slowly.
- Once the meat reaches its optimal internal temperature, finish the cooking.
- Let the meat rest for 10-15 minutes once it finishes cooking.
- Slice against the grain.
These tips will come in handy, especially when you are roasting tougher pieces of meat, such as chuck roast, rump roast, or Pike’s Peak roasts.
Can You Shred A Pikes Peak Roast?
Lean roasts such as rump roast, chuck roast, Pike’s Peak roast, brisket, skirt, and flank are great for shredding. Pike’s Peak roast will be easily shredded with a fork after cooking, and it can be served in sandwiches, pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, or refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To shred a Pike’s Peak roast, you should roast it in a Dutch oven for 5-6 hours at 275 degrees F. The meat will be tender and easily pulled apart with a fork.
So, now you know how to cook a Pikes Peak Roast. Grill it at 300 degrees F for 90 minutes, flipping it halfway through the cooking time. You can also cook your Pike’s Peak roast in the oven, instant pot, or even in the slow cooker. The important thing is that you should always cook it at lower temperatures and slower than you would cook more tender roasts.
Although tougher than the other roasts, Pike’s Peak roast is full of excellent flavor and can make great stews, sandwiches, and other delicious meals for the whole family. Simply follow the tips from this article, and you will be able to make a perfect Pike’s Peak roast. Bon appetite!