How to cook barley? Cooked barley has a nutty flavor and multiple health benefits. To learn how to cook it, all you have to do is:
- Pick your type of barley. There are two types of barley you can choose from there’s hulled barley or pearled barley (also called pearl barley).
- Pick your cooking method. There’s the stovetop absorption method or the pasta method.
- In both cases, you’ll want to fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil over high heat. If you want to cook with the pasta method, then once your barley has a chewy texture, drain out your excess water using a fine-mesh strainer. If you want to cook using the absorption method, then you’ll want to keep cooking your barley until most of the barley water is gone.
- Scoop out your barley and fluff with a fork before serving.
How To Cook Barley
Cooking barley is really easy. There are tons of barley recipes out there. You just have to pick one.
The easiest way to cook barley is to cook one cup barley in your cooking liquid with a pinch of salt (either water or chicken broth, for example) over medium heat until your barley is done and is nice and chewy.
Serve barley while still warm or store cooked barley in an airtight container.
How To Cook Barley In Soup?
To cook barley soup, you can use cooked or uncooked barley. Once you have your soup mostly cooked, keep it on a low simmer to keep warm, rinse the barley and pour it into your soup. Stir until the barley is chewy.
How To Cook Barley In A Rice Cooker?
If you want to cook pearl barley in a rice cooker, just add one cup of pearled barley and two cups of cold water into your rice cooker. Then you just have to set your cooker and let it cook through one rice cooking session. If your rice cooker has a brown rice setting, use that one as it might be more precise. Once your rice cooker is done, wait 15 minutes, fluff with a fork, and serve as a main or side dish. It can make a great breakfast cereal, after all!
How To Cook Barley In Water?
To cook barley in water:
- Pour one cup of uncooked barley in a large pot or medium saucepan of boiling water.
- Let cook for about 30 minutes on high heat, lower if you want a slow cooking process.
- Stir occasionally and check to make sure your barley has a chewy texture. That’s when you know it’s done.
- Drain any remaining liquid and serve barley however you want.
How To Cook Barley In Pressure Cooker?
Cooked barley is a great option for grain bowls, breakfasts, or soups. To make cooked barley in a pressure cooker, you just need 20 minutes of cooking time.
- Add your barley to your pressure cooker.
- Add your seasonings, water, and a little olive oil for flavor.
- Seal your pressure cooker.
- Cook on high. Barley takes about 20-25 minutes to cook through.
- Quick-release the seal.
- Fluff with a fork and serve whenever you want!
How To Cook Barley In Instant Pot?
It couldn’t be easier to cook pearl barley or hulled barley in an instant pot. Just add barley, water, and salt into your pot and cook on the high setting for 20 minutes. Once you release the lid and see that your barley is done, make sure to fluff it, so it doesn’t stick together and serve.
How To Cook Barley Rice?
Barely can be cooked in a way that is similar to arborio rice. Just bring water to a boil and pour your desired amount of barley into your pot. Cook at a gentle simmer until your barley is tender. Then simply drain any leftover water and season your barley grains with salt, pepper, or other spices.
How To Cook Barley Drink?
You can make barley water very easily. Just bring your peal barley to boil over high heat and let cook until the water is a milky color. Strain out your whole grain barley and let the water cool before serving a refreshing drink with its nutty flavor
How To Cook Barley In Slow Cooker?
To cook barley in a slow cooker, just add a cup of barley in a slow cooker pot full of water. Set your slow cooker to a high setting and let cook for 1 hour. The barley will increase in volume, and you will notice less liquid in the cooker when it is getting close to done.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Barley?
The amount of time you’ll need to slow cook barley will depend on your cooking method. It will take about 30 minutes on the stove, 1 hour in a very hot slow cooker, 3 hours on a low setting in a slow cooker, or the equivalent of 1 full rice setting in a rice cooker.
What Is A Common Way To Cook Barley?
You can find barley sold in most grocery stores in the gluten-free section. The most common way to cook it is to simmer it in a pot of pre-boiled water until your barley is tender to the touch with a fork. Add spices and herbs for a little extra flavor before serving.
Should Barley Be Soaked Before Cooking?
Barley doesn’t have to be soaked before it’s cooked; however, soaking your barley will make it easier to digest.
How Long Does Soaked Barley Take To Cook?
If you decide to soak your barley, let it soak for a few hours before rinsing and cooking it. This will add to your prep time, but it may be worth it for you.
Now you know how to cook barley. This article has shown that the easiest way to cook barley is on the stove. Just pour a cup of barley into a pot of boiling water and let simmer for about 30 minutes on low heat. Once your barley grains are tender and fluffy and most of the water has been absorbed, you can enjoy it however you want!