How To Cook Beef Bottom Round Steak?
How to cook beef bottom round steak? Grill on medium, cooking each side for 2-3 minutes on each side – this is a simple and easy cooking method. However, it’s a bit expected too. Thus, if you’d like to try out some other bottom-round steak recipes, you’ve come to the right place. Just scroll through the article, and I’m sure you’ll find a method that works perfectly just for you!
How To Cook Beef Bottom Round Steak?
In addition to the classic grill recipe I briefly mentioned, round steaks can also be baked, pan-seared, and even air-fried. I know what you must be thinking – they’re a pretty versatile type of meat. You’re absolutely right. They are.
Nevertheless, even bottom-round steaks have their quirks about them, so you’ll have to learn just how to cut them and marinade them to perfection. Luckily for you, this article covers all those bases, so let’s go!
Is Bottom Round A Good Cut Of Steak?
Yeah, the bottom round is among those cuts you’ll be lucky to find at the butches. It’s a lean piece of meat that comes from the rear leg of the cow. It’s part of the round stake, which also includes the eye of the round, bottom round, and top round. The main reason people like to cook with it is due to its versatility – you can grill it, pan-fry it, bake it, or even make a nice homemade stew.
When it comes to the bottom round, the culinary possibilities are endless, and all the best are waiting below!
Is Beef Bottom Round Steak Tough?
I’ll be honest with you – it’s not the toughest piece of meat. However, it’s also not the most tender one you’ll find. Its toughness comes out of the fact that it contains a lot of connective tissue. In addition, because it comes from a heavily exercised muscle, round steak doesn’t contain much fat and can thus be easily dried out on the grill.
Slow cooking methods may be best for chefs working with round steak for the first time since the low-and-slow cooking process doesn’t dry out the meat and lets it soak all the flavor in overtime! Whichever method you choose, you’ll find a great recipe for it in this article!
How To Cook Beef Bottom Round Steak In The Oven?
Although there’s a whole world of culinary adventures to have with a beef bottom round steak, one of the most popular recipes out there is preparing it in the oven – and even if you’ve never tried preparing round steaks in the oven, this recipe’s got you covered. So, let’s go!
The most important part of cooking round steak isn’t actually the cooking part – it’s the preparation! So, that’s exactly what you’re going to do first!
- Pound the steak with the textured side of a meat mallet until it’s about ½-inch thick.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in either a cast iron pan or braising skillet and brown the steak at medium heat – this part should take about 5 minutes per side.
- Take the meat out of the pan and set it aside – don’t worry, you’ll come back to it!
- Using the same pan or skillet, saute some garlic, onions, and garlic until they soften – altogether, this should take no more than 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth and Worcestershire sauce to the mix and place the steak back with the other ingredients.
- Season everything with the classic combination of salt and pepper, while adding thyme and rosemary will give it that extra flavorful kick!
- Cover everything and bake in a preheated oven, a 300°F oven, for about 2 ½ – 3 hours – or in more culinary terms, until the meat is tender.
- Once the recommended cooking time is up – take everything out of the oven and check if it is cooked to your desired doneness. If you’d like it to cook a bit more, just place it in the oven for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, that should do the trick. Oh, and if you’re happy with the way it turned out, grab a plate and serve over some tasty mashed potatoes!
How To Cook Beef Bottom Round Steak Thin?
To cook a round steak is one thing. To cook it thin is a whole different ball game. It takes a bit of both time and patience to nail the recipe and cooking time down to perfection – luckily, I’ve got the perfect round steak recipe to make the cuts as juicy and tender as can be!
- Like I’ve said, the secret to cooking steak perfectly is preparation, and to cook a thin steak to perfection, you first need to know how to pound it correctly. Pound the round steak flat on a cutting board using a meat mallet, paying special attention to the connective tissue that separates the different parts of the steak. Remember – the goal is uniform thickness!
- The next crucial step is the marinate. For your steak to turn out tender, you’ll need to marinate it at least an hour before cooking, although the night before would be ideal.
- Next – is the actual cooking process. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and place the steak into the pan. I know what you’re thinking – pan-searing should usually be done over high heat. However, since these are thin-sliced pieces, the lower heat prevents them from burning.
- Cook each side of the steak for three minutes – this is plenty of time for it to brown.
- Once each side has been searing for 3 minutes, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the meat – you should be looking for 145 °F. If it’s anything under this, keep the steaks in the pan for a bit longer, turning them, so the sides cook evenly.
- After the instant-read thermometer gives you the green light, take the steak out and let it rest for at least 3 minutes.
- No step seven, actually – you’re all done, and the only thing left to do is enjoy you’re thin steak dinner!
How To Cook Beef Bottom Round Steak Thin Cut?
I know I may be a bore for making this point again and again, but the secret really is in the preparation! If you marinade and pound the steak to perfection, all that’s left is the easy part – cooking it! So, focus on getting the first part down by scrolling back up for a detailed explanation of how to perfectly prepare a round steak thin cut!
How To Cook Beef Bottom Roun Steak In Air Fryer?
You may have heard me say that everything from frozen to raw can go into the air fryer. Well, beef bottom round steak is no exception to this rule. On the contrary, it’s one of the simplest meals to make in it.
- Firstly, remove any unwanted bits from the steak – this includes excess fat and alike.
- Cover the steak in cooking oil and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place it in the air fryer and cook for 8 to 12 minutes at 400°F.
I told you it was simple.
However, I’ll give you a few pieces of advice regarding the cooking time. If you like your steak to be medium-rare, air fry it for 8 minutes. On the other hand, if you’re a fan of medium-cooked, the whole thing should take 9 to 10 minutes. In the end, for those of you not taking any chances, a well-done round stake is out of the air fryer in 12 minutes!
How To Cook Beef Bottom Round Steak Stir Fry?
Making round steak stir fry is a great idea if you’re looking for a healthy alternative to the grill. In addition to its nutritional benefits, it’s also made in the blink of an eye. Just follow the recipe below, and you’ll have a healthy, quick, and delicious Sunday dinner in no time!
- Dissolve a tablespoon of bouillon granules in water.
- While it’s dissolving, combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with soy sauce – mix everything until it smooths out, and then add it to the bouillon.
- Cut the steak into thin strips and season them by adding salt and pepper, as well as some ginger and garlic.
- Stir-fry the steaks with a tablespoon of olive oil in either a large skillet or wok until it browns – 3 minutes per side should do the job.
- Once it’s brown, set it aside and add sliced celery, green pepper, and green onions into the pan.
- Pan-fry the vegetables until they begin to soften, and then add the soy sauce mixture in with them.
- When everything begins to boil, cook for 2 minutes, and add the strips so they can cook through.
- Sever everything over a bowl of rice and enjoy!
How To Cook Beef Bottom Round Steak Tender?
The secret to cooking round steaks tender isn’t actually in the cooking part of it all – it’s in the marinade. So regardless of whether you’ve had a pan-sear or oven bake in mind, you’ll need a good marinade to keep your steaks tender.
Of course, there’s always the option of using a store-bought marinade. No shame in it. However, if you’re in the mood to make your own, here are a few tips to start you off.
The base should always be high-quality olive oil. Next, you’ll need a bit of citrus, and here lemon is always the go-to fruit, even though limes work as well. Finally – the seasoning, and for this part, you have free reign, although flaky sea salt, chopped garlic, and black pepper are a must!
How Do You Make Bottom Round Steak Tender?
Okay, so I’ve already shared my best secret with you when it comes to making round steaks tender – marinade. Not only that, but I’ve also given you some basic tips for preparing your very first marinade. However, there’s still one more thing to mention – although the marinade is crucial, testing and checking make it all come together.
In other, less vague terms, you’ll have to check on your round steak from time to time, both to see if it’s tender and to measure its internal temperature. So, there you go – marinade, check, and enjoy!
How To Cook Beef Bottom Round Steak Strips?
One of the best ways to prepare round steak strips is to cook them stir fry. This isn’t only a simple solution to your dinner dilemma but a healthy one, too. Instead of the grill or pan filled with grease, you’ll be full of steak strips and vegetables!
If you’re sold on the idea, scroll back up to check out the best recipe for round steak strips stir-fry out there!
How To Cook Beef Bottom Round Steak Boneless?
For the boneless beef bottom round steak recipe, I’ve got a simple but still special idea in store. Two words – beef stew! Okay, and a couple more words explaining how to make this delicious dish.
- Fill up a medium-sized skillet or pot with water and add the round steak, gravy, tomatoes, parsley, and bay leaves into it.
- Bring the entire thing to a boil over medium heat.
- When the bubbles start popping, add sliced carrot and potatoes into the mix and cook until the latter are almost tender – feel free to add extra water if you’re running low.
- Next, we’re adding the macaroni, and before it’s cooked, frozen corn goes into the pot as well!
- Once the corn has cooked through, which is about 10 minutes or so, serve up and enjoy!
How To Cook Beef Bottom Round Steak On Grill?
A hot grill and a round steak are guaranteed to equal a great meal, and I’ve got just the right round steak recipe for it!
- Heat the grill to medium.
- Once heated, place the marinated steak on the grill.
- Turn once, grilling each side for 10 minutes. Before removing them off the grill, check the internal temperature of the steak. It should be 145 °F for a classic medium-rare.
I told you – simple, easy, and delicious!
How Long Does It Take To Cook Bottom Round Steak?
As you’ve probably noticed from all the recipes above, the cooking time depends on what you’re planning to do with your bottom round steak. Thus, a grill and stir fry will take up to half an hour, while a pan-sear and stir fry will take longer. Then there’s the oven, with 2 hours of cooking time guaranteed.
Depending on the time and ingredients you have on your hands, it’s best to pick the recipe that works best for you. Oh, and if you’re still unsure, go back and check them out one more time since they’re not going anywhere!
How to cook beef bottom round steak – the simplest way being on a medium heated grill for 2-3 minutes per side, and don’t forget the marinade! However, if you’ve got some extra time or people to impress, you could always stir-fry it, bake it, or make a delicious stew – just follow our recipes, and culinary success will follow!