How To Cook Cottage Bacon?
How to cook cottage bacon? Trim off the fat cap from the pork shoulder and remove the bone. Cut the remaining meat into 1-2″ thick flats, similarly like you would cut the pork belly. Coat the meat fully in the seasonings, place it in a vacuum-sealed plastic bag and let it rest in the fridge for 7-9 days.
Preheat your smoker to 200 degrees F, and smoke the cured pork shoulder for approximately 2 hours. Remove from the smoker, let cool, and slice thinly with a meat slicer. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
How To Cook Cottage Bacon?
- Take a piece of pork shoulder and remove the fat cap.
- Carefully remove the bone from the meat.
- Slice the meat into 1-2″ thick flats.
- In a bowl, combine black pepper, Prague powder, salt, brown sugar, and sweet paprika.
- Coat the meat slices in seasonings completely.
- Place the meat in a sealed bag and put it in the fridge for 7-9 days.
- Preheat your smoker to 200 degrees, and add your favorite wood chips to give that smokey flavor to the bacon.
- Smoke the bacon for approximately 2 hours. Use the meat thermometer to check if the internal temperature has reached 150 degrees F. If not, continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the smoker and let cool before slicing with a chef knife or meat slicer.
If you are just looking for quick tips on how to cook cottage bacon when it is done, here is a video for you. Just a reminder- cottage bacon is just bacon that is made from a shoulder and not the belly…that is it. Otherwise, it is just bacon!
How To Cook Cottage Bacon In The Oven?
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line the cottage bacon strips onto the baking tray.
- You can add some traditional streaky bacon strips.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until you reach the desired crispiness level.
- Serve on a dish lined with paper towels to collect the excess fat.
How To Bake Cottage Bacon?
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the cottage bacon strips into the air fryer basket in one layer.
- Air fry for 7-9 minutes, depending on the bacon thickness and how crispy you want your bacon to be.
- Pat dry with paper towels to collect the excess fat, and enjoy your bacon!
How To Cook Cottage Style Bacon?
- Fire up your grill and preheat it to medium-high heat.
- Place bacon slices over the direct heat.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes per side, depending on how crispy you want your bacon to be.
The same can be done on a stove, or in the oven (see above).
How To Cook Uncured Cottage Bacon?
We recommend frying bacon that hasn’t been cured in a skillet.
- Preheat your skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add cottage bacon strips and cook with frequent flipping until you achieve the desired level of crispiness (4-5 minutes per side).
- Serve on a plate lined with a paper towel to collect the excess grease.
How Do You Make Cottage Bacon?
You can use store-bought cottage bacon for cooking too, but homemade is always the best option. Make your own homemade cottage bacon from the pork shoulder meat. Simply trim off the fat cap and remove the bone. In a separate bowl, combine your favorite seasonings and coat the meat fully in the seasonings. Then, place it in a sealed plastic bag and in the fridge for 7-9 days.
Once your cottage bacon has cured for 7-9 days in the fridge, smoke it in the smoker at 200 degrees F for approximately 2 hours, or until it reaches the internal temperature of 150 degrees F. Once it cools down a bit, you should slice it thinly with a chef knife or meat slicer.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Cottage Bacon?
In the oven at 375 degrees F, you will need 20 minutes to cook cottage bacon. In the air fryer, you will need to cook cottage bacon for 7-9 minutes over 350 degrees F. If you decide to grill your cottage bacon over medium-high heat, you will need 6-8 minutes. And, if you want to fry cottage bacon in a skillet over medium to medium-low heat, you will need 8-10 minutes.
However, the cooking time may vary depending on the bacon thickness and the desired level of crispiness you want to achieve. Thicker bacon strips will take longer to cook, especially if you want your bacon to be extremely crispy.
Is Cottage Bacon Cooked?
Cottage bacon is smoked until it reaches the internal temperature of 150 degrees F, which makes it fully cooked and safe to eat even without further cooking. However, if you want to eat crispy bacon, you will need to fry, bake or grill your cottage bacon before eating.
What Is Cottage Style Bacon?
Cottage-style bacon is made of a pork shoulder instead of pork belly, and it is leaner than the regular bacon. It is typically oval-shaped, and it’s actually much cheaper to make than the traditional bacon.
What Is The Difference Between Cottage Bacon And Canadian Bacon?
Canadian bacon comes from the pork loin, while cottage bacon comes from the pork shoulder. Canadian bacon is even leaner than cottage bacon. Both Canadian bacon and cottage bacon resemble the regular ham more than they resemble traditional or back bacon.
Now you know how to cook cottage bacon. If you want to make your own cottage bacon, you will need to remove the fat cap and the bone from the pork shoulder. Then, coat the remaining meat in a spice mixture, wrap it in a sealed plastic bag and leave it in the fridge for 7-9 days.
Next, smoke the cured meat for 2 hours in the preheated smoker at 200 degrees F, or until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F. Allow it to cool down before thinly slicing it with a meat slicer or chef knife. Bake at 375 degrees F in the oven for 20 minutes or until crispy enough.