Do you know how to cook dal in microwave? Basically, you need to soak the dal in enough water for 2 hours first, and then drain the water. Pour soaked dal into the microwave-safe bowl, and add water. Add turmeric, asafoetida, and a pinch of salt. Place dal in the microwave oven and set the microwave on high for 20 minutes. Cook with occasional stirring. For more details, keep reading!
How To Cook Dal In Microwave?
Cooking dal? Remember that it needs to be soaked in water first because soaked dal will cook faster and save energy. So these are the steps to cook dal in the microwave:
- Soak the dal in water for 2 hours
- Drain the water and pour dal into a microwave-safe bowl
- For every 1/2 cup of dal, add 2 cups of water
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, and 1 tsp salt
- Mix well the ingredients and put it all in the microwave oven
- Set microwave on high and cook daal for 20 minutes
- Take boiled dal out of the microwave, stir again, and put it back for another 2 minutes of cooking. By now dal should be almost cooked, with the water level completely reduced.
- Remove the dal from the microwave oven, cover, and let it stand for 3 minutes
Now that you cooked dal, you can prepare tadka by mixing mustard seeds, asafoetida, cumin seeds, curry leaves, chopped garlic, chopped coriander leaves (or coriander powder), and green chilies (or chilli powder). Put it in the microwave for 4 minutes, and while you wait, mash the cooked daal.
Mix mashed cooked dal and tadka, and cook in the microwave for another 4 minutes. Serve hot with steamed rice and pickles. You can also add ginger and garlic paste to add more flavor.
How Do You Cook Lentils In The Microwave?
- Put lentils in the bowl and wash several times to wash away any remaining piece of dirt that comes with lentils
- Soak lentils in clean water for 1 hour
- Pour 2 cups of water in a microwave-safe bowl and add drained lentils
- Select high setting on your microwave and press start
- Cook for 7 minutes
- Drain lentils again, and refresh them with 3 changes of cold water
- Pour the water again until it’s one inch above the lentils
- Cover with wrap foil and cook for another 7 minutes on high
- Drain again dirty pieces floating on the top and microwave for another 10 minutes
- After it’s cooked, take it out of the microwave and let it stand for 10 minutes
- Whisk the lentils with an electric beater or mash them with a spoon
How Do You Boil Pulses In The Microwave?
- Soak them in the water for at least 1 hour
- Choose a big bowl as pulses tend to double or triple in size when cooking
- Add veggies and spices that you like (tomatoes, ginger, onions, chili powder, etc.)
- Pour 3 cups of water for each cup of pulses
- Cook it in a microwave for 35 to 55 minutes and stir every 15 minutes
- You will know the pulses are done when they become tender (taste them if in doubt)
Can Dal Be Cooked Without Cooker?
Dal can be cooked without a pressure cooker, just follow these steps:
- Rinse dal and let it soak for 1-2 hours
- Boil dal in double amount of water at medium heat
- Don’t cover the lid unless you want dal foam to rise and make a mess
- Cook for 30 minutes, and check if it’s soft. If not cook until it becomes soft
How Long Does It Take To Cook Dal?
Dal needs to be soaked for 1-2 hours. Then, depending on how you decide to cook it, it will be cooked in 25-55 minutes. This means 1,5-3 hours of total preparation and cooking time.
Now you know how to cook dal in the microwave. You need to soak it in the water first, then drain it, add clean water, pour it all into a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave it for 20-30 minutes. Do you have your favorite dal recipe? Share in the comments!