How To Cook Frozen Gyro Meat Strips?
How to cook frozen gyro meat strips? In a frying pan, preheat olive oil over medium heat. Add sliced gyro meat and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. When you purchase sliced gyro meat, it is already pre-cooked. You just need to reheat it from frozen.
Traditionally, gyro meat is cooked on a vertical rotisserie in Greek restaurants. It is usually made by cutting slices of pork, lamb, beef, or chicken meat. Also, it can be made of finely ground beef mixed with cooked ground lamb meat. Then, it gets sliced and served with tzatziki sauce, french fries, vegetables, or other ingredients.
However, you can easily cook gyro meat at your home and enjoy all the flavor just like in the restaurant. Keep reading to learn more!
How To Cook Frozen Gyro Meat Strips?
The easiest way to cook frozen gyro meat strips is to reheat them in a frying pan or in a large iron skillet.
- In a frying pan or iron skillet, preheat 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil becomes hot, place your gyro meat strips into the pan and start cooking.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, occasionally flipping. If in doubt whether you cooked the meat long enough, try one meat strip to see if it’s fully cooked and reheated.
- Serve with tzatziki sauce, French fries, lettuce, sliced onion, tomato, or with other ingredients and sauces of your choice.
- You can wrap gyro meat and the rest of the ingredients in a tortilla or serve them in pita bread sliced lengthwise in the middle.
Pro tip: Once you are done with cooking, transfer the meat into a bowl, and heat your tortilla or pita bread in the same skillet and in the same oil where you cooked gyro meat for 1 minute. This way, your tortilla or pita bread will be juicy and full of flavor.
Here is a quick guide on how to make your frozen gyro meat strips tastier!
How Do You Cook Frozen Gyro Meat Slices?
Another way to cook thinly sliced gyro meat is by grilling it! Simply follow these steps:
- Preheat your grill to 400 degrees F.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil over the grill grates. The foil should be large enough for you to spread the meat all over it.
- Spray the aluminum foil with cooking oil.
- Take trader joe’s gyro slices and spread them in a single layer over the aluminum foil.
- Grill for 8 minutes, flipping the meat using thongs halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve in pita bread with tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, sliced fresh tomato, lettuce, and French fries.
How Do You Cook Gyro Meat Slices?
You can choose to buy pre-cooked gyros meat, but you can also try and make it from scratch! You will need to marinate raw meat in the refrigerator overnight. For marinade, you will need:
- 1 sliced onion.
- Fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon (or 1 tablespoon of vinegar).
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder.
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary.
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil.
- 1/2 tablespoon dried dill.
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika.
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano.
Mix all of the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and add sliced raw meat. Make sure to thoroughly coat the meat in the marinade. Cover with plastic foil (don’t use aluminum foil!) and leave in the fridge overnight.
The next day, preheat 2 tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add marinated meat (without onion slices) and fry for 10-15 minutes over medium heat, occasionally stirring. Once the meat cooks, serve it in pita bread with tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, sliced tomato, and lettuce.
How Do You Defrost Gyro Meat?
You can defrost gyro meat in a microwave. Simply place it on a microwave-safe plate, place it in the microwave, and reheat for 60 seconds on HIGH. However, you can also skip the defrosting part and start cooking it while still frozen. It will thaw really fast, and you will just need to cook it a few more minutes because it is already pre-cooked, and you don’t have to cook it as long as you would cook it raw.
You can also freeze gyro meat once you cook it. Gyro meat freezes perfectly. Just store any leftover meat in the airtight container (or freezer bag), and store it in the freezer. Make sure to eat it in the next 2-3 months!
How Do You Cook Gyro Slices In The Oven?
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line the baking tray or another baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle the aluminum foil with olive oil.
- Thaw your giros meat in a microwave for 60 seconds.
- Lay gyro meat flat onto the aluminum foil.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve the cooked gyro meat in pita bread with tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, sliced tomato, lettuce, and french fries.
If you don’t want to thaw meat before cooking it in the oven, you will need to prolong the cooking time from 15 minutes to approximately 20 minutes. When in doubt, try one meat slice to see if it’s reheated enough. If it’s still not warm enough, cook for additional 3-5 minutes.
Now you know how to cook frozen gyro meat strips! The easiest way is to cook them in hot olive oil in a pan for 5-7 minutes, occasionally turning. Frozen gyro strips are already pre-cooked, so you are basically defrosting and reheating them while cooking in the pan. Once you finish with the cooking, serve in pita bread or tortilla with tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, sliced onion, sliced tomato, lettuce, and French fries. Bon appetite!