Here is the answer to how to cook frozen lumpia – the simplest way is to bake them in the oven at 350F for 25 minutes. More tips on how to cook them are in this post!
Lumpia are typical Filipino spring rolls, filled with ground pork or ground meat in general and vegetables.
They are wrapped using thin egg roll wrappers and their crispy texture makes lumpia perfect for many delicious recipes.
You can cook frozen lumpia in an air fryer, a deep fryer, a large frying pan, or in the oven. Keep on reading and find out how to fry frozen lumpia properly!
How to cook frozen lumpia Shangai?
Cooking lumpia shanghai is really easy and there are many ways to do it.
You can deep fry spring rolls in vegetable oil, cook it in an air fryer, bake it in the oven or pan-fry and you will get that golden brown color and crunchy texture.
Remember that you don’t need to thaw frozen lumpia before cooking them, whether you want to fry or bake frozen egg rolls.
While deep frying is one of the popular options, I personally find it time-consuming…and too How to dispose of cooking oil when you are done, right? Below is a simple baking process:
Do you need to thaw frozen lumpia before frying?
Frozen lumpia, also called spring rolls, are very easy to store and they are perfect as a crunchy snack, appetizers, or for a quick meal.
There’s no need to thaw frozen lumpia before frying them. In fact, if you fry frozen egg rolls, you’ll get a much more crispy texture and you’ll lock in the flavors.
However, it’s very important to thaw frozen lumpia wrappers if you want to make fresh lumpia.
How do you thaw frozen lumpia wrappers?
To make your lumpia wrappers soft when you thaw them from the freezer, just follow these directions.
Unlike other spring roll wrappers, lumpia wrappers are fine like thin paper, like skins.
Take your lumpia wrappers out of the freezer and store them for 30 minutes in the fridge. Only then you can start to separate the lumpia wrappers individually.
Spring roll skin is very thin, so be careful when you handle it. Keep in mind that it’s best to cover each sheet of wrappers with a damp napkin or cloth, to maintain their moisture.
Pat excess moisture with some paper towels and cook your spring roll as you like.
Can you bake frozen lumpia instead of frying?
If you want to cook frozen lumpia without frying, you can simply cook frozen spring rolls in the oven.
Spread your frozen spring rolls on a baking sheet, so that the heat evenly distributes and pre-heat the oven to 375° F.
Bake for 25 minutes on the central rack and turn your Filipino lumpia from time to time, to be sure they cook evenly and to get a golden brown color.
Remove from the baking pan and wait a couple of minutes, and serve with sweet and sour sauce.
How long should you fry lumpia?
Filipino lumpia can be fried in an air fryer, deep-fried, or you can cook your spring roll wrappers in a large frying pan in hot oil.
Depending on the method you use, once you heat cooking oil:
- you should deep fry frozen lumpia for 6-8 minutes in cooking oil until the egg rolls turn golden brown.
- pan-fry for 3-5 minutes in hot oil
- air fry for 8 minutes
How to cook frozen lumpia Shangai in an air fryer?
The air fryer will make your frozen egg rolls crispy and tasty, without deep frying the spring rolls, getting a much healthier snack with just a touch of cooking spray.
Here’s how you fry frozen lumpia:
- Preheat the air fryer to 390° F
- Use cooking spray on the bottom of the fryer and place the frozen spring rolls in the air fryer basket
- Cook for 4 minutes, flip the egg rolls and fry lumpia for another 4 minutes until they get golden brown
- Take the fried lumpia out from the air fryer basket, place them on paper towels or parchment paper to remove excess oil
- Serve with dipping sauces
How to cook frozen lumpia in a deep fryer?
Everything tastes delicious when it’s fried!
You can deep fry frozen lumpia in vegetable oil, and they will get a golden brown color and a crunchy texture.
Here are some tips to deep fry the lumpia:
- Add vegetable oil to the deep fryer on medium heat
- Heat the oil and deep fry the lumpia in hot cooking oil for 6-8 minutes
- Let the oil drip and Drain the excess oil from the wrappers individually with parchment paper
- Serve with banana ketchup or any other sauce
How to pan-fry frozen Filipino lumpia?
Instead of deep fry, you can pan fry Filipino lumpia in hot oil on medium heat.
Here’s how you cook frozen egg rolls:
- Put a large pan on medium heat and add vegetable oil
- Heat the oil, place one egg roll at a time in the pan, so that your frozen egg rolls can cook evenly
- Cook frozen egg rolls for 3-5 minutes until the spring roll wrappers get crispy and colored
- Pat excess oil from the lumpia and serve
How to cook frozen lumpia in the oven?
If you want your lumpia wrappers soft, you can cook frozen spring rolls in the oven on a baking sheet.
Simply follow these steps:
- Place the egg rolls on a baking sheet or cookie sheet and preheat the oven to 375° F
- Bake for 25 minutes on the center rack until the spring rolls get golden brown
- Serve the egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce
How to cook frozen lumpia in Ninja Foodi?
Ninja Foodi is a great ally in the kitchen and you can use it to cook frozen spring rolls.
There’s no need to add cooking oil to the machine, you’ll only have to brush the frozen egg rolls with a drizzle of olive oil (any other cooking oil will do) to make the spring rolls crispy and golden brown.
Fry lumpia wrappers are frozen straight in the Ninja Foodi, for about 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size of the spring rolls, flipping the egg rolls every 3 minutes.
You can serve your fried lumpia with banana ketchup or sweet and sour sauce.
Now you know how to cook frozen lumpia. You can deep-fry them for around 10 minutes or bake them at 350F for 25 minutes, whatever seems best for you. Bookmark this post so you have all the times at your disposal!