Do you want to know how to cook frozen mussels? First, steam your frozen mussels (keep the shell on) for 3 to 4 minutes in a pot over medium/high heat. Then, add some garlic, cilantro, and a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. After that, turn the heat from medium/high to low and simmer them for 4 minutes more. Once the shells of the mussels are opened, they should be ready to serve!
Are you wondering how else you can cook your frozen mussels? Well, lucky you, because I’ve prepared more guides on how you can cook mussels! These guides apply to both cooking frozen mussels and fresh mussels. There are various dishes for you to explore, ranging from a simple mussel pasta dish to fresh mussel meat with lemon or a nice mussel garlic sauce. Without further ado, let’s dig right into it!
Table of Contents
How To Cook Frozen Mussels?
- First, steam your mussel in shells (keep them frozen) for 3 to 4 minutes in a pot over medium/high heat.
- Add some garlic, cilantro, and a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil while cooking the mussels.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer them for 3-4 minutes.
- Your mussels should now be packed with awesome flavors and are ready to be eaten.
How To Cook Frozen Mussels No Shells?
- Add water to a pot, just enough to cover your mussels.
- Please turn on your heat to high and let them cook for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Once the steam comes out from the lid of your pot, wait about 15 seconds, then take the cooked mussel meat out.
You can also choose to add them to a pan with a bit of white wine. Start boiling out the white wine while adding some cilantro, garlic and simmer them on medium heat – you will now get yourself some fantastic mussels with a sauce of their own.
How To Cook Frozen Mussels In Shell?
- First, steam your mussels with their shell in a covered pot on high heat.
- This should take about five to seven minutes.
- Add garlic, cilantro, and olive oil into the pot.
- Turn your heat down and simmer them for just a couple of minutes more to get your mussels’ sauce creamy.
- The shells should be opened and are ready to eat.
- Get rid of the mussels with the closed shells.
How To Cook Frozen Mussels That Are Already Open?
You’ve probably heard that freezing kills the mussels causing them to be less fresh. Well, that fact is not completely accurate. Many mussels might get opened – but it is important to know that they are immediately frozen and stay that way until you decide to cook them. But It’s perfectly safe to defrost frozen mussels slowly, then eat them, and here’s how you do it.
- Get a pot with a lid and add some water, just enough to cover the shells.
- Add some cilantro, white wine, garlic, and a bit of butter.
- Turn the heat high and let It cook for 3-4 minutes.
- They are now ready to eat.
Some fishmongers are freezing cooked mussels intentionally just so that you can conveniently reheat them in order to consume. Note that this would usually be written on the packaging.
Freezing fresh mussels is the only way possible to get them transported without going bad.
How To Cook Frozen Mussels On Stove?
- Use a large saucepan.
- Add just enough water (1 liter per 1 kilo of mussels) to get the shells covered.
- Let the water boil until steam comes out, and leave it at that for another 15 seconds.
- Then add salt, olive oil, and your preferred herbs (cilantro goes exceptionally well with this).
- Once your mussels have been in steaming temperature for about 4-7 minutes, they’re ready to be served!
The cooking water should already be partially evaporated, and you should now have your mussels covered in a nice thick sauce.
How To Cook Frozen Mussels Out Of The Shell
Did you know you can serve mussels with just their cooked meat without presenting the shells? All you have to do is cook them with their shells on and take out the cooked meat once it’s cooked. But what if the frozen mussel meat were already out of their shells? Fret not! What you can do are:
- Add some water to a pot, just enough to cover the meat
- Set on high heat, let them cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, and add some garlic and olive oil nearing the end of the cooking process. You can also add a bit of white wine for the acidic taste.
- Once the steam comes out of your pot for 15 seconds, you will have an incredible flavor with perfect mussel texture.
How To Cook Frozen Mussels In A Bag
- Get your mussels out of the freezer.
- Get your frozen mussel bag inside a pot with boiling water.
- Boil them for around 7-8 minutes.
How To Cook Frozen Mussels Half Shell
- Thaw your mussel (under running water, for example).
- Once thawed, place them on a baking sheet.
- Preheat your oven to 450 F.
- In a bowl, make your favorite filling for the mussels (we suggest some bechamel)
- In another bowl, get together some breadcrumbs and herbs.
- Scoop a spoon of bechamel, put it on the mussel, and cover with the breadcrumbs
- Bake them for 20 minutes until they turn golden brown!
How To Cook Frozen Mussels In White Wine
For the sauce:
- Melt butter in a pot.
- Add garlic and cilantro and let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Next, add white wine and lemon and let them simmer.
- Taste it before adding and adjusting the salt and pepper.
For the mussels:
- Steam your frozen mussels with their shells in a covered pot.
- Your heat temperature should be on high heat.
- The process takes about 4-7 minutes.
- Once they’re open, dry and mix them with the sauce you’ve prepared.
How To Cook Frozen Mussels On The Grill
- You can grill your mussels for about 7-8 minutes or until the shells open up.
- If the frozen mussels have half a shell only, you should cook them for around 6-8 minutes.
Do I Need To Thaw Frozen Mussels Before Cooking?
No, you can cook your mussels while frozen and still get the same result as fresh ones.
Can You Cook Cooked Mussels That Were Frozen?
Yes! Just steam your mussels until they are thawed (around 2-3 minutes), and cook them for 5-7 minutes.
How Do You Cook Frozen Vacuum-Packed Mussels?
You can cook them in a pot with a cup of water and steam them for about 5-7 minutes. You can cook them in wine too, preferably with the herbs of your choice. If not, you can also saute them in a pan over high-heat oil.
How Do You Cook Costco Frozen Mussels?
- Separate the vacuum-sealed bag from the carton box.
- Don’t open the bag.
- Put your mussel bag in boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes and let them rest for one minute more.
- Remove the bag from the water and serve your mussels with lemon.
And that’s how to cook frozen mussels: in a pot with a tight lid, an inch of water, and herbs for better taste! Steam them in between 5 to 7 minutes and wait 1 minute to cool down.