How to cook grits in the microwave? It is quite simple, add 4:1 liquid to grits and cook on high for 4 minutes for Quaker grits, normal grits take 10-12 minutes. Read more below!
You may be asking yourself this question if you want some quick and easy old-fashioned grits in the morning. Grits made in the microwave take less time, but is just as delicious as old-fashioned slow-cooked grits.
Grits are usually a time-consuming breakfast that is not commonly made in a microwave, however, today we will go over how to make easy grits in the microwave for your busy mornings. We will go over how to make creamy microwave grits, lump-free grits, most importantly, the best grits!
We will also share a grits recipe below, so stay tuned! Remember that you can customize these recipes and add any toppings that you’d like.
How To Cook Grits In The Microwave In Five Easy Steps
- Pre-soak your grits in water overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Combine 1 part grits and 4 parts water in a bowl.
- Season the grits to your preference.
- Microwave the grits for 2-3 minute intervals, for 10-12 minutes total. This will prevent boiling over. Stirring occasionally.
- Stir the grits and top with butter, sugar, salt, cheese, or even your favorite fruit.
How To Cook Quaker Grits In The Microwave?
- Add quaker grits, water and salt a bowl.
- Stir around once.
- Cook on high in the microwave for 3-4 minutes or until thickened.
- FInish it off with any toppings and make sure to stir it.
Can Grits Be Cooked In A Microwave?
If you’re in a pinch and need a quick and easy way to make grits, then you’ve come to the right place. Microwavable grits recipe options have become increasingly popular, so we are bringing you a time-saving way to make this morning dish.
You can cook grits in a microwave-safe bowl. You typically have two options for microwavable grits: instant grits or regular grits. Popular brands make instant grits that you just need to add milk or water to and microwave, similar to instant oatmeal.
However, we will be talking about how to microwave actual fresh grits. You can cook grits in the microwave but it may take a bit of a learning curve and some preparation.
We will be going over exactly what to pay attention to and how to avoid common problems associated with making grits.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Grits In The Microwave?
It typically takes 10-12 minutes to cook grits in the microwave. Old fashioned grits should be cooked for a few minutes at a time and stirring occasionally for 10-12 minutes. However, Quaker grits can be cooked in less than 5 minutes in the microwave.
What Is The Ratio Of Water To Grits?
One of the main conflicts that people run into when mastering microwavable grits is getting the water to grits ratio right. Adding too much or too little water to the grits will change the entire texture as well as taste. (For thicker grits decrease water. For thinner grits increase water.)
The water to grit ratio can also affect how it cooks in the microwave. This is very similar to oatmeal and the ratio between water and oats.
The ratio of water to grits should be four parts water and one part grits. Doing this ratio will ensure that the grits come out to the perfect texture and it ensures that it cooks properly in the microwave. The water is the main component working together with microwave ovens to cook the grits.
Should Grits Be Soaked Before Cooking?
Grits should be soaked before cooking. You should soak grits for at least six hours before cooking, but the easiest way to do this is to let them soak all night before the morning you’re planning on cooking them.
Soaking grits will help you with the cooking process, especially when cooking them in the microwave. Soaking the grits allows moisture and liquid to absorb into them and allow them to cook better and faster.
It is said that soaking grits can decrease cooking time by about 50 percent, which can save a lot of time on an already time-saving method.
How To Soak Microwave Grits?
- Get the desired amount of grits and place them in a pot or bowl.
- This is when you can add in other toppings or ingredients such as salt or sugar.
- Cover with two and a half cups of water.
- Mix grits one time.
- Let it sit at room temperature for at least 6 hours, but overnight is preferred.
How Do You Keep Grits From Boiling Over In The Microwave?
We all know that when cooking certain things in the microwave oven, they can boil over and make a mess. This is a common problem faced by those who try microwaving grits.
The first thing you should double-check is your water to grits ratio. Too much water can make the grits boil over and not cook properly.
Next, you should be cooking your grits for 10-12 minutes in the microwave, but you should cook in smaller intervals. Start by cooking them for about 2 minutes at a time, stirring in between. This will allow the water to boil down instead of boiling over. Remember that microwave ovens vary.
Always use a deep microwave-safe bowl. This will give the grits extra room, because if you use a small bowl then the water is more likely to overflow.
How To Cook Old Fashioned Grits?
Typically people cook grits on the stovetop. We have discussed how they can be cooked in the microwave, so now we can share how to cook them traditionally.
- Combine water and salt in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Gradually add grits into the water, while stirring occasionally.
- Keep doing this for about 20 minutes or until the grits are your desired texture.
- Add butter, sugar, salt and toppings. Stir. Then serve!
Grits Cooking Tips
- Always soak your grits at least 6 hours in advance.
- 1 part water 4 parts grits
- Microwave the grits in intervals of 2-3 minutes to avoid the grits from boiling over.
- Make sure to regularly stir the grits during the cooking time.
Basic Grits Recipe
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6 tablespoons grits
- Salt (optional)
- Toppings: Cheddar cheese, maple syrup, etc.
- Combine water (or milk), salt, grits, and toppings in a deep microwave safe bowl. Stir well and cook again for 3-4 minutes.
- Microwave on high heat until the grits begin to boil.
- Stir well and microwave again for 3-4 minutes. Stop frequently to stir.
- Cook until your desired texture. Add on toppings at the end.
Mother’s Southern Cheese Grits Recipe
- Water or milk
- Pinch of salt
- Cheddar cheese or add Velveeta
- Use 2/3 of the hot water and add into the grits with a pinch of salt.
- Cover bowl with a piece of paper towel.
- Place dish in microwave on high for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the remainder of the water when you feel the grits have thickened.
- Cover bowl again with another paper towel and microwave for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add Velveeta or cheddar cheese to the grits and stir. The secret to creamy microwave grits is to microwave them after the cheese is melted for an additional 5 minutes.
Now you know how to cook grits in the microwave. The simple approach is to ad 4:1 liquid to grits and cooks it on high for 4 minutes for quaker grits and 10-12 for normal grits. For more detailed recipes just check the ones described above.
There are many different types of grits: a baked grits dish, my favorite grits casserole dish, savory grits, sweet grits, and quick grits. Typically they are cooked on a stovetop, but microwave grits are on the rise. Cooking grits can be done in the microwave by using a large microwave-safe bowl.
Remember that cooking times may vary, but typically microwave grits on high and stir frequently. Basic grits and cheese grits are both amazingly made in the microwave.