How to cook Kamut? Pour 3 cups of water into the pot and bring it to a boil. Add 1 cup of Kamut. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook uncovered for 40-60 minutes, or until soft. Drain from the remaining water and serve. If you soak it in the water first, Kamut will cook much faster and will be done in 30-40 minutes.
Kamut is an ancient grain grown organically in Egypt and the Middle East, also called King Tut’s wheat because it was found in Egyptian tombs, and Khorasan wheat, because it is believed that Kamut originated in Iran. Keep reading to learn more about this fascinating grain and recipes on how to cook it!
How To Cook Kamut?
- Pour 3 cups of water into the pot and set it at high temperature until the water boils.
- Add 1 cup of Kamut to the boiling water and reduce the heat to medium-high.
- Cook uncovered for 40-60 minutes if you are cooking unsoaked grains and 30-40 minutes if you soaked them first.
- Stir occasionally.
- You will know that the grains are fully cooked when they become soft and tender.
- Drain them from the remaining cooking water and serve.
How To Cook Kamut In Rice Cooker?
- Pour 3 cups of water and 1 cup of Kamut into the rice cooker.
- Turn the rice cooker on and choose the “brown rice” setting.
- The rice cooker will click or beep when Kamut is cooked, approximately after 45-60 minutes of cooking.
How To Cook Kamut Berries?
- Pour 3 cups of water or vegetable stock into the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of Kamut wheat berries.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- Drain off the remaining liquid.
- Serve in soup, pilaf, or together with a little honey.
How To Cook Kamut In Instant Pot?
- Pour 3 cups of water into the pressure cooker.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of canola oil and 1 cup of Kamut.
- Close the lid and set it to cook on high heat.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, then let naturally release the pressure.
- Drain Kamut from any excess liquid and serve as you wish.
How To Cook Kamut Flakes?
- Pour 2 cups of water and 1 cup of Kamut flakes into the pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until soft.
- Drain from the excess liquid and serve with honey, agave juice, milk, or any other way you want.
How To Cook Kamut Kernels?
If you want to enjoy the chewy texture and buttery flavor of Kamut grain, try this recipe:
- In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cups of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of water, 1 tbsp of butter, and 1 tbsp of vanilla extract.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then add one tablespoon of almond milk, stir, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add one teaspoon of salt and 6 cups of puffed Kamut.
- Stir and spread evenly on the baking sheet and let cool at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
How To Cook Kamut Pasta?
You can find store-bought Kamut pasta or make your own. To make your own Kamut pasta, follow these steps:
- Make a dough from 3 cups of Kamut flour, 1 cup of water, and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice, if you prefer).
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes or until it becomes firm and silky smooth.
- Place it in a bowl, cover, and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Separate the dough into four pieces, and flatten each piece to 1-inch width, using your fingers.
- Coat each piece of dough generously with the flour.
- Roll dough pieces through the thickest setting on your pasta maker.
- Let the Kamut pasta dry in a well-ventilated place for 24 hours before cooking it.
Once you have Kamut pasta (store-bought or homemade), it is time to cook it:
- Fill a large pot with water, add kosher salt and bring it to a boil.
- Add 2 cups of Kamut pasta and cook for 8 minutes.
- Drain the pasta from the water and serve with your favorite meat, sauce, pumpkin seeds, or even salad.
How To Cook Kamut Cereal?
- Mill 1 cup of Kamut Khorasan wheat on a medium setting.
- In a medium saucepan, add milled Kamut grains, 3 3/4 cups of almond milk, and 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt. Stir everything well.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and cook with stirring until thickened. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add one tablespoon of butter and four tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Stir and add dried fruit or raisins on the top.
How To Cook Kamut Without Soaking?
When you cook Kamut without soaking, you should cook it just like you would cook a soaked one, but 10-20 minutes longer.
How Long To Cook Kamut?
Cooking time depends on whether you are cooking unsoaked or soaked Kamut and whether you cook it on a stove or in a pressure cooker. Soaked Kamut will take 30-40 minutes to cook on a stove and 10 minutes to cook in a pressure cooker. Unsoaked Kamut will need 40-60 minutes to cook on a stove and 15 minutes to cook in a pressure cooker.
Do You Have To Soak Kamut Before Cooking?
You don’t have to soak Kamut before cooking, but it will take longer to cook when unsoaked.
What Do You Use Kamut For?
As mentioned above, Kamut flour can be used to make pasta, but also in bread making, pancakes, etc. Basically, you can use Kamut just like you would use regular wheat.
Is Kamut Easy To Digest?
Kamut grain contains more protein than modern wheat, which makes it easier to digest. Some wheat intolerant people can eat Kamut without experiencing any issues. However, if you are wheat intolerant, you should consult with your doctor before deciding to eat Kamut.
Now you know how to cook Kamut! Add 1 cup of Kamut to 3 cups of boiling water, and cook for 30-40 minutes if it’s a soaked Kamut and 40-60 minutes for unsoaked Kamut. Drain from the excess water and serve.
If you are interested in trying ancient grains, brand Khorasan wheat, or Kamut, is a perfect choice for you! It s healthy, organically grown, and full of flavor.