How To Cook Meatballs On Stove?
How to cook meatballs on the stove? Add olive oil to the skillet and heat it over medium-high heat. Carefully add the meatballs to the skillet and fry them for 3-4 minutes, until browned on each side. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking your meatballs for 10-20 minutes, or until done. You can also cook frozen meatballs this way. You will just need to cook them a bit longer.
Meatballs are small balls made of ground meat. Usually, ground beef is used to make meatballs, but you can make them out of ground pork, ground chicken, and even ground turkey meat.
Cooked meatballs go well with mozzarella cheese, various sauces, and pasta recipes. It is easy to make your own meatball mixture when you want to eat homemade meatballs.
In this article, we will go over some meatball recipes and instructions on how to cook them on the stovetop and in the oven. Stay tuned to learn more!
How To Cook Meatballs On Stove?
- In a cast-iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil becomes hot, carefully add the meatballs.
- Sear the meatballs in hot oil for 2 minutes on each side.
- When the meatballs are browned all around, reduce the heat.
- Cook the meatballs over medium-low heat for 10-20 minutes or until they are fully cooked.
- Once they are almost done, add your favorite bolognese or some other sauce and cook until the sauce starts simmering.
Since the cooking time may vary depending on the size of the meatballs, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.
For beef and pork meatballs, it should be at least 145 degrees F, and for meatballs made of poultry meat, the internal temperature shouldn’t be lower than 165 degrees F.
If you want to enjoy homemade meatballs, you can make your meatball mixture. Simply follow this meatball recipe:
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of dry bread crumbs.
- Set this mixture aside while you prepare the meat mixture.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk 1 egg, 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley leaves, and salt and pepper to taste (about 2 tbsps of each).
- Add 1 pound of ground beef to the whisked eggs and thoroughly mix everything together using your bare hands.
- Add 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion, 1 minced garlic clove, and the bread crumbs mixture.
- Again, use your bare hands to create a homogenous mixture.
- Form the balls from the meat and lay them on a large plate or baking sheet. Make sure that the meatballs don’t touch because they will stick to each other if they do.
- Keep the freshly made meatballs in the fridge for half an hour before cooking them.
How To Cook Meatballs On Stove Without Sauce?
If you want easy skillet meatballs, you can cook the meatballs without any sauce.
Simply preheat the skillet over medium heat and add the meatballs.
Cook them for 10-20 minutes or until well-done.
How To Cook Meatballs On Stove In Sauce?
You can cook meatballs on the stove directly in the sauce, but you should sear them for 3-4 minutes first before adding the sauce.
This way, the outside layer of the meatballs will keep a nice mixture, and the inside will stay tender and juicy.
Once you have seared the meatballs, add tomato sauce and Italian seasoning. Continue cooking with occasional stirring until the meatballs are done.
How To Cook Meatballs On Stove And Oven?
You can also cook meatballs by browning them in the skillet and then baking them in the oven.
- First, brown the meatballs in hot oil in the skillet for 10 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the skillet and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to collect the excess fat.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the meatballs onto the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
How To Cook Meatballs On Stovetop?
Instead of a cast-iron skillet, you can use a regular frying pan. The cooking process remains the same. You need to sear the meatballs at a higher temperature first and then cook them at a lower temperature until done.
How Long To Cook Meatballs On Stove?
The cooking time depends on the cooking temperature and the size of the meatballs. It is recommended that you cook the meatballs at lower temperatures. At medium-low temperature, meatballs will need 10-20 minutes to fully cook.
When in doubt about whether your meatballs are cooked or not, always use a meat thermometer to check if the internal temperature has reached a minimum of 145 degrees F for beef and pork or 165 degrees f for poultry meat.
How To Cook Turkey Meatballs On Stove?
These flavorful meatballs can be cooked on a stove by following these steps:
- Preheat the cooking oil in a skillet over high heat until hot.
- Add turkey meatballs and sear them on each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high, and continue cooking meatballs for 8-10 minutes.
How To Cook BBQ Meatballs On Stove?
- In a large pan, combine 2 lbs of frozen meatballs, 1 cup of ketchup, 3/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of minced onion, and 1/4 tsp of garlic powder.
- Increase the heat and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Let the sauce simmer for 25 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Continue cooking until the meatballs become tender and fully cooked.
How To Cook Chicken Meatballs On Stove?
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the meatballs into the skillet and sear them in the hot oil for 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking meatballs for 10-15 minutes, frequently stirring.
Can You Cook Meatballs In A Frying Pan?
Yes, if you don’t plan to cook them in the oven and you don’t have a skillet, a frying pan will cook the meatballs just as well!
How Long Does It Take To Cook Meatballs In A Pan?
The cooking time for tender meatballs depends mostly on the cooking temperature and the size of the meatballs. It also depends on the meat used to make said meatballs.
Beef and pork meatballs need 10-20 minutes to cook in the frying pan over medium heat.
Turkey and chicken meatballs need slightly less time, and 10-15 minutes is enough for them to be cooked.
Should I Bake Or Fry Meatballs?
Baked meatballs are healthier than fried ones because they usually require less oil/fat to be cooked. However, if you like your meatballs juicy, frying them is a better option.
Pros of cooking meatballs on the stove
There are several pros to cooking meatballs on the stove.
- One pro is that it can help to brown the meatballs more evenly. This is because all sides of the meatballs are exposed to direct heat, so they cook evenly.
- Another pro is that stovetop cooking can help to keep meatballs moist and juicy. This is because the steam generated from the cooking process can help to keep the meatballs moist and prevent them from drying out.
- An additional bonus is that stove cooking helps create a nice crust on the outside of the meatballs, adding some extra flavor and texture.
- It can also help with creating a base for your sauce, as the juices from the cooking process can be used to create a flavorful sauce.
- A final pro is that stovetop cooking is generally quicker than oven cooking. This is because the heat is more direct and intense, so it cooks the meatballs faster.
Cons of cooking meatballs on the stove
But as with anything, there are some drawbacks and potential risks when cooking meatballs on a stove.
- One is that it can be easy to overcook them. This is because the heat is more direct, so it’s easy to go from perfectly cooked to burnt fairly quickly.
- Another downside is that if you’re not careful, the meatballs can stick to the pan and fall apart. This is especially true if you use a pan that isn’t non-stick. So, if you do decide to cook your meatballs on the stove, be sure to keep a close eye on them and use a little cooking spray or oil in the pan to help prevent sticking.
- Stovetop cooking can also create quite a bit of smoke and splash oil around, so be sure to have good ventilation and be prepared to clean up afterward.
|Cooked evenly||Can be burned|
|Keeps the juice in||Can stick|
|Tasty crust||Can get messy|
|Creates sauce base|
Can you freeze cooked meatballs?
Yes! Cooked meatballs can be frozen. This is a great way to meal prep or “make-ahead” for busy weeknights.
Be sure to cool the meatballs completely before freezing, and then store them in a freezer-safe container or bag. When you’re ready to eat, just thaw and reheat.
If properly stored, meatballs will last in the freezer for 3-4 months.
Can you freeze raw meatballs?
If you made too many meatballs and want to save some for later, you can freeze them raw. Just be sure to use them within 3-4 months for the best quality.
Make sure to freeze them on a baking sheet first, so they’re not touching, then transfer to a freezer bag or container once frozen. This will help them keep their shape while at the same time preventing them from sticking together.
When you’re ready to cook, there’s no need to thaw the meatballs first– just cook them straight from the freezer.
What is the best way to reheat meatballs?
The best way to reheat meatballs is in a 350 degree F oven until warmed through. This helps to keep them moist and prevents them from drying out or getting too crisp on the outside.
Alternatively, you can also reheat meatballs in a sauce on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. This is a great option if you want to add them to a pasta dish or use them as part of a soup or stew.
Can I make meatballs ahead of time?
Yes, you can absolutely make meatballs ahead of time! In fact, this might be even better as they will have a chance to absorb more of the flavors from the spices and seasonings.
- How to cook Omaha steak meatballs?
- How to cook frozen meatballs?
- How to cook frozen meatballs in an air fryer?
Now you know how to cook meatballs on the stove. Preheat a little oil in the skillet until it’s hot, then add the meatballs. Sear the meatballs for 3-4 minutes, then reduce the heat. Continue cooking for 10-20 minutes until the meatballs are fully cooked.