How To Cook Milkfish?
How to cook milkfish? Milkfish is one of the most popular fish in Filipino recipes, usually referred to as Bangus. To prepare it along with Asian tradition, you must marinate milkfish for at least an hour with 2 cups of vinegar, grated ginger, crushed garlic, salt(or soy sauce), and pepper. Once the marinated milkfish is ready, remove it from the fridge and add to a cooking pan with vegetable oil. Fry for 8-10 minutes on both sides until it’s golden brown, then enjoy!
If you want to know more about milkfish and try some recipes, keep reading!
How do you clean milkfish before cooking?
Unless you want to cook your milkfish whole in the oven, I recommend you clean it and take all the fish bones out to best enjoy this fish. Here’s how you clean milkfish before cooking it:
1. Trim the fins and tail with a sharp knife or strong kitchen scissors. Then split the milkfish on the top side by running the knife along the belly
2. Lay the fish open on a cutting board and remove the gills and the innards.
3. Wash the fish with cold running water and then pat dry it.
4. Lay the fish flat with the skin down on a cutting board and remove its backbone. Hold a sharp knife inclined and cut in with the tip of the blade. Keep the blade close to the backbone, from head to tail.
How do you eat milkfish?
With its mid flesh and sweet taste, milkfish is very popular in many Asian recipes. Bangus is usually prepared skin-on for the best flavor and a deliciously crispy texture. It can be baked in the oven, deep-fried, or boiled in a delicious soup with onions, tomatoes, and fish broth.
Milkfish fillets are customarily served with warm rice, soy sauce, and vegetables.
How to cook milkfish in the air fryer?
Making milkfish in an air fryer is super easy, and I love this recipe because it requires so little prep time. Just follow these steps:
1. Marinate your milkfish for at least an hour with a mix of soy sauce, olive oil, crushed garlic, ground black pepper, and a tiny bit of salt.
2. Place the marinated milkfish in the air fryer basket with a spray of oil and fry it for 8 to 10 minutes at 350°F
3. Once your Bangus is perfectly cooked, remove it from the air fryer and serve with some grated ginger and chopped parsley.
How to cook milkfish in the oven?
Baked Bangus or milkfish is easy to make because all you need to do is mix all the ingredients on the fish and then move it into the oven. I recommend you get a boneless milkfish which is easier to bake.
Let’s start cooking!
1. In a bowl, mix minced garlic, chopped onions and tomatoes, soy sauce, and grated ginger (you can also add chili if you like spicy recipes). Soy sauce is very popular in Filipino cuisine, and it usually replaces salt
2. Move the mixture into the milkfish and spread it all over the fish.
3. Preheat the oven at 400°F and cover the oven tray with aluminum foil, brushing it with vegetable oil so that the fish won’t stick on the tray
4. Bake the milkfish for 30-40 minutes
5. Serve your delicious baked Bangus with white rice and dipping sauce!
How do you cook milkfish Filipino style?
Fried milkfish is a staple in Filipino cuisine, one of the best Asian recipes you can find! Its golden brown crisp skin is even more delicious once you pair it with dipping sauce… is your mouth watering yet? Let’s start making this marvelous dish!
1. Clean and prep your milkfish, leaving the belly intact
2. Marinate your milkfish for about an hour in a bowl with a mix of 2 cups of vinegar, finely chopped garlic, onion, salt, and pepper
3. Place four tablespoons of olive oil in a pan, and once the olive oil is hot, carefully add the milkfish.
4. Pan fry the fish skin side down for 10 minutes and flip it to the other side once it gets golden brown
5. Once both sides are cooked, remove the milkfish from the pan and serve with sliced tomatoes or your favorite side dish.
How to make milkfish soup?
Milkfish soup is one of Filipino’s traditional recipes, very simple and delicious. You can serve this recipe with white rice or use it as a fish sauce, adding some chili pepper. Here’s how you do it:
1. Place 2 quarts of fish broth into a cooking pot on the stove and bring to a boil
2. Add chopped onions, tomatoes, and ginger and heat for a couple of minutes
3. Set to medium heat, add milkfish fillets, and let them cook for 5 minutes. Then lower the heat and simmer for about 3 minutes
4. Sprinkle the soup with some ground black pepper, then serve!
Is milkfish healthy to eat?
Milkfish is a very popular fish in the Philippines, where it is known by the name Bangus. It is considered healthy and good for you since it brings high-quality content of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
However, like many other fish, it has a mercury concern, although lower than tuna or salmon. Therefore you should enjoy milkfish and include it in your diet!
What does milkfish taste like?
Milkfish is very popular in Filipino cuisine, where it is served in many different ways. Milkfish has a mild and sweet taste along with a firm texture. Thanks to these qualities, it is very suited for many different cooking techniques: it can be grilled, baked in the oven, or boiled in soup.
Milkfish is typically served with soy sauce, a staple dressing in Asian recipes which usually replaces salt, warm rice, and mixed vegetables.
Now you know several ways how to cook milkfish! The easiest way is to marinate it and fry it! But you can also bake it or boil it! More details are in the tips above.