How to cook pinakbet ilocano? In a large pan, add water and bring it to a boil. Add anchovy sauce to the water and bring it to a boil once again. Add vegetables: sweet potato, okra, bitter melon, eggplant, string beans, tomato, and onion. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add Lechon kawali and simmer for another 5 minutes.
This popular Filipino food comes in several variants, and in this article, we will share their recipes, so keep reading to learn more!
How To Cook Pinakbet Ilocano?
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of water into a large pan or pot and bring to a boil.
- Add 1/4 cup of anchovy sauce to the water and bring it again to a boil.
- Add 1 quartered sweet onion, 8 pieces of okra, 1 chopped tomato, 1 chopped onion, 4 round eggplants cut in half, 1 cup of string beans cut in half, and 2 quartered small bitter melons.
- Reduce the cooking temperature to medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add Lechon kawali and cook for another 5 minutes.
Here is a quick video recipe. It is with ENGLISH SUBTITLES so do not get immediately discouraged when you see it. I’ve checked many other videos and they are quite complex with ingredients that you might not have, this one is quick and quite simple to make!
How To Cook Pinakbet Ilocano Version?
If you want to try another version of the pinakbet Ilocano style, you should try this recipe. It is almost identical to the one from the previous paragraph, with a few additional ingredients:
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add anchovy sauce to the boiling water and bring it to a boil again.
- Add chopped sweet potato, onion, okra, tomato, eggplants, string beans, and bitter melons.
- Add 2 minced garlic cloves and 1 chopped ginger root.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with fried pork belly and steamed rice.
How To Cook Pinakbet Tagalog?
If you want to learn another way of cooking pinakbet, try this Tagalog pinakbet recipe:
- Heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a large pot.
- Saute 1 chopped onion and 4 minced garlic cloves.
- Add 2 thumbs of chopped ginger and cook until onion becomes translucent.
- Add Lechon kawali and saute for 1 minute.
- Add 2 tablespoons of shrimp paste.
- Cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add 2 chopped tomatoes and 2 teaspoons of bagoong alamang.
- Stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add 8 okra strands, 2 chopped bitter melons, 1 chopped sweet potato, and 4 small round eggplants – chopped.
- Cook for 10 minutes, season with black pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
How To Cook Pinakbet Tagalog Style?
For heartier mixed vegetable stew, try this recipe:
- Fry sliced pork belly in hot oil in a large pot.
- Add minced garlic, chopped onion, and tomatoes, and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp paste or fish sauce.
- Add chopped potato, eggplant, bitter melon, string beans, and okra.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the meat and vegetables become tender.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
How To Cook Authentic Ilocano Pinakbet?
If you are on an authentic food quest, this traditional Ilocano pinakbet recipe will be perfect for you:
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbs of vegetable oil on medium heat.
- Add 3 chopped garlic cloves and 1 thumb-sized chopped garlic.
- Stir and fry for 1 minute and then add 1 chopped onion.
- Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add 8 strands of okra cut into smaller pieces and 1 chopped bitter melon.
- Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 chopped eggplant, a handful of string beans, and 1 cup of chopped squash.
- Stir everything together and add 1 cup of water.
- Increase the temperature until the water starts boiling, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 tablespoons of fermented anchovies and stir well.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
How To Cook Pinakbet Ilocano Step By Step?
For another pinakbet Ilocano recipe, just follow these steps:
- In a large pot, add 1/2 cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add 5 minced garlic cloves, 2 roughly chopped tomatoes, 4 green onion stalks chopped in small pieces, 1 chopped kabocha squash, 1 chopped bitter melon, 12 okras cut in half, 1 bunch of string beans cut into smaller pieces, and 2 eggplants cut in half lengthwise.
- Stir everything well and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables become tender, with occasional stirring.
- Add 5-6 tablespoons of salted fish sauce.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes, remove from the heat and serve with boiled pork belly.
How To Cook Pinakbet Ilocano Panlasang Pinoy?
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add 4 tablespoons of anchovy sauce and bring it to a boil again.
- Add 2 thumbs of thinly sliced ginger, 1 chopped sweet potato, 8 okras chopped into smaller pieces, 1 chopped bitter melon, 1 chopped eggplant, a handful of string beans chopped into smaller pieces, 2 roughly chopped tomatoes, and 1 chopped onion.
- Let the vegetables simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the fried pork belly or lechon kawali and cook for another 5 minutes while stirring.
- Serve hot.
So, now you know how to cook pinakbet Ilocano. You need to preheat the water in a large pot and bring it to a boil. Then add anchovy sauce and bring it again to a boil. Add chopped sweet potato, tomatoes, okra, ginger (optional), bitter melon, eggplant, onion, and garlic. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Serve with fried pork belly and fried rice.
You can also add shrimp paste or fish sauce to make pinakbet Ilocano Tagalog style. You can also cook it together with chopped pork belly and make a delicious stew for the whole family. Bon Appetite!