How to cook ribbon fish? Simply clean the fish from gills, guts, and silvery outer layer. Rinse thoroughly in cold water and season with salt, Shaoxing wine, and julienned ginger. Preheat the pan with cooking oil, and once the oil gets hot, add fish and fry for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time. Garnish with scallions and serve.
How To Cook Ribbon Fish?
- Clean the ribbonfish (or belt fish) pieces from the guts, gills, and outer silvery layer.
- Rinse them thoroughly in cold water and drain.
- Marinate the fish pieces in salt, Shaoxing wine, and julienned ginger for 3 hours.
- In a frying pan, add three tablespoons of oil and preheat until the oil becomes hot.
- Carefully add marinated fish pieces to the pan, and pan-fry for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve on the plate lined with a paper towel to collect the excess oil.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and eat.
Here is another great and quick recipe to try!
How To Make Ribbon Fish?
You can also bake ribbonfish in the oven over medium heat.
- Clean and marinate the fish like in the previous paragraph.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the baking tray with cooking oil.
- Place the fish pieces onto to baking tray.
- Bake them for 20 minutes, carefully flipping them halfway through the cooking time.
- Garnish with scallions and sprinkle with soy sauce.
How To Clean And Cook Ribbon Fish?
If you want to cook a ribbon fish, but it is freshly caught, you will need to clean it first. You will need a sharp knife, and to follow these steps:
- Cut off the head first.
- Slice open the fish’s belly and take out the fish’s guts and inner organs.
- Cut off the dorsal fin that runs across the fish’s back.
- Cut off the fish’s tail. It looks kinda like a ribbon, hence the name ribbonfish.
- Just like you cut off the dorsal fin, you will need to cut off the lower part of the stomach because it has tiny spines that you’ll want to remove.
- Try to get rid of tiny scales.
- Now cut ribbon fish into 3-inch wide slices.
- Rinse under cold water and let drain for a bit.
Now that you have cleaned the ribbon fish, all you need to do is to marinate and let it sit in the marinade for a while (at least 3 hours) in the fridge. Once marinated, you can fry it in hot oil in a frying pan for 10-15 minutes.
How To Make A Ribbon Fish Rig?
The simplest ribbonfish rig is a nose hook trailed by a series of 3 or 4 treble hooks. You can also use a jig for a nose hook, as this method is quite popular amongst tournament king fishermen.
How To Make Woven Ribbon Fish?
Once your ribbon fish gets marinated for long enough, you can coat it in all-purpose flour before frying it in hot vegetable oil. This way, it will be brown and crispy. Once fried, sprinkle with a few drops of fresh lemon juice, and serve with potato salad and blanched spinach.
Best Way To Prepare Ribbon Fish?
Pan-frying is the simplest and the best way to prepare ribbonfish, but you can make it even better following this recipe:
- Fry the ribbonfish as usual in the frying pan until it becomes golden brown.
- In a separate pan, heat 2-3 tablespoons of rapeseed oil over medium heat.
- Pour one can of Sichuan bean paste into the pan and stir for 1 minute.
- Mince 1 ginger thumb, 3-4 garlic cloves, chop one green onion and add to the frying pan.
- Add 1 cup of water and let boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour this sauce over the fried ribbonfish and garnish with chopped green onion.
How To Fry Ribbon Fish?
Ribbonfish should be fried in hot oil for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. You need to flip it halfway through the cooking time so that it fries evenly on both sides. Some people like to coat ribbonfish in white flour to achieve that extra crispiness, but your fish will be just as crispy if you simply make sure that the oil is hot before adding the fish to the pan.
How To Eat Ribbon Fish?
Ribbonfish can be eaten in several ways, raw, pan-fried, or baked in stuffed ribbon rolls. However, most people prefer to eat it pan-fried, because it is easy to prepare this way. Ribbonfish pairs exceptionally well with green onions, soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, Shaoxing wine, and a Sechuan bean sauce.
Are Ribbon Fish Good Eating?
Ribbonfish is full of ocean flavors, with a buttery texture, and white, flaky meat. It is especially prized in Japan, but it is slowly getting more popular among American eaters too. Also known as a belt fish or cutlass fish, its taste is somewhere between sea trout and flounder.
How To Fillet Ribbon Fish?
- Once you chop off the head, tail, and dorsal fin, you should cut open the belly and clean the fish from its guts.
- Remove the tiny scales.
- Rinse it in cold water and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Remove the bones.
- Cut in 5 inch wide fillets.
What Is The Best Way To Cook Fish?
In general, the best way to cook fish is in the oven at moderate temperatures between 300-400 degrees F. However, this can dry out the fish, especially if you are baking it without skin. That’s why you should marinate it first. Also, for a faster cooking process, pan-frying is preferred because it is simpler and faster than oven baking.
Are Ribbon Fish Poisonous?
Ribbonfish are completely harmless for humans to eat. However, they possess a mild toxin that can paralyze a small prey, although the effect wears off after a few minutes.
Now you know how to cook ribbonfish. First, clean the fish from guts, gills, head, tail, fins, and scales. Cut into smaller slices. Rinse in the cold water and marinate in salt, ground ginger, and Shaoxing wine for 3 hours. Preheat a frying pan with 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil, and once the oil becomes hot, add fish slices and fry for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.