Do you want to know how to cook surf perch? Well, surf perch can be cooked in fillets or whole with head and fins on the grill, in pan-fry, or dipped in flour and deep-fried. A drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice is the to-go seasoning for this fantastic catch with such a great taste. Serve with hot sauce and toasted bread for an extra kick of flavor!
Keep on reading and learn all the secrets for cooking and fishing surfperch!
Table of Contents
How do you clean and cook surf perch?
To clean redtail surfperch and other species of fish you may catch with your fishing, follow these instructions, and you will have your fillets ready to be cooked in no time:
1. Rinse your fish with cold water, then lay your perch on a clean surface and get a sharp knife.
2. Cut below one of the fish’s gills, then along the backbone, head to tail.
3. Make a 0.5 inches incision deep in the perch’s belly. Be careful not to cut too deep into the fish’s body. Then turn the perch and do the exact thing on the other side of the fish.
4. Stick your knife under the skin and press with your thumb on top of it, then pull your knife and the skin toward the tail and peel off from the meat.
5. To remove the fillet, run the skin under the backbone and through the belly of the fish. Do on the other side, pull out any small bones and get ready to prepare your fillets!
So, now that we have two perch fillets, it’s time to cook them. Here’s an excellent recipe for your surf perch:
1. Dip each fillet in flour, then in egg wash, and finally in a bowl with panko bread crumbs, garlic, and onion powder.
2. Pan-fry fish fillet with hot oil (you can use olive oil or any other cooking oil) in a large skillet and fry one side till golden brown. Then flip and fry the other side of the fish.
3. Remove the fillets from the pan, serve on a plate, and for the seasoning, use salt, pepper and squeeze some lemon juice. Eat your surf perch with a glass of white wine, serve with a dab of hot sauce and enjoy this delicious fish!
Do you bleed surf perch?
It is essential to bleed fish right after you’ve gone fishing since what influences most the flavor of the fish is their blood and organs. With caught surf perch, this is even more noticeable due to their delicate meat taste.
To bleed most fish, including surf perch, cut through the artery that runs along the gills, then place the fish in ice.
Bleeding your fish equals more taste in your fillets when you will eat them, so don’t skip this part!
If you decide not to prepare your perch immediately, store it in the fridge in plastic wrap and eat it within two days.
How to cook surf perch whole?
Besides fish tacos, fish cakes, and fillets, surfperch, especially larger perch, is usually grilled whole. Here’s how you make your surf perch:
1. While you let your caught surf perch sit at room temperature, preheat the grill.
2. Before you put it on the grate, pat dry the fish with a paper towel
3. Brush the fish with some oil and season with salt and pepper. Stuff the perch with garlic, parsley, and lemon.
4. Place the perch on the well-oiled grate and grill at medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Then turn the fish and keep on the grill for another 10 minutes, till golden brown.
5. Remove the surfperch and move it onto a plate. Before eating, dress with a drizzle of olive oil and add lemon juice. Now enjoy its amazing taste, but pay attention to small bones!
Can you cook perch with the skin on?
Surfperch has really tasty fillets and what’s also great about eating this fish is that you don’t even need to take off the skin from the meat before you prepare perch. Whether you deep-fry, pan-fry, or bake surf perch whole, keep in mind that the skin of this fish is edible and so soft that you won’t even notice it while eating!
What is the best way to cook surf perch?
Are you looking for the best cooking method for cooking your fishing trophy? Well, surf perch can be cooked in many different ways, and each one enhances its delicate meat.
Surf perch can be baked whole with head and fins or in fillets in the oven. You can dip it in seasoned flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs, then deep fry it in hot oil (watch out for pin bones while eating it) or pan fry it.
Surf perch is a fish with a mild taste and sweet flavor. Therefore a simple seasoning of olive oil, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice is your best dressing choice, whether you grill, fry, or bake it.
How to cook Oregon surf perch?
Oregon surf perch, pile perch, and other perch are similar to walleye, and they’re delicious when fried, so here’s an easy pan fry recipe:
1. In a bowl, mix flour, paprika, salt, garlic, and onion powder. Then, in another container, prepare the egg wash while you preheat a frying pan.
2. Dip the fish into the egg wash, then into the flour, and start frying in the pan with hot oil. Be careful when you place the fillets in the hot oil because it may splatter.
3. Fry until the fillets are brown, then remove the fried perch and serve with a sprinkle of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice to enhance its amazing flavor. Eat warm!
How to cook red tail surf perch?
To cook red tail surf perch, you will do it in the completely same way as with any other surf perch (for example, Oregon surf perch or others). Just follow the steps, and you will get a great meal!
Is surf perch good to eat?
So, before you go fishing, is surf perch good to eat? Surf perch is a fish with a sweet flavor, mild taste, and firm texture, similar to the walleye. When eating perch, a simple seasoning of olive oil, salt, and pepper enhances the delicate meat of this fish.
Surfperch is an excellent choice for all the recipes that call for white fish: being mild in flavor with soft meat, it’s perfect for being dipped in flour or bread crumbs and fried or used to prepare fish tacos, soups, baked fish cakes, and sandwiches.
How do you go surf fishing for surf perch?
Surf fishing is a great outdoor activity, and it can be really rewarding if you know when and where to throw the hook to catch more fish (and later eat it, too!).
Redtail surfperch and other species of fish are available all year round. Still, the best time to go fishing and catch them is during the spring and in the early summer. The best fishing usually happens on an incoming tide, so you better be prepared for lots of fish to come and bite!
If you go fishing from before dawn till 10 a.m and from a couple of hours before sunset, fish will be more exposed since they tend to be feeding around this time, so they’ll bite and will be easier caught.
Now you know how to cook surfperch! Just make filets out of it and fry on a pan with a bit of oil for around 5 minutes on each side. For more tips, read the recipes in this post!