How to cook frozen okra? Cooking okra is easy, simply spread it over the baking sheet, add olive oil, onions, salt, black pepper, and other seasonings of your choice, and roast for 35-45 minutes at 425 degrees F. Serve the roasted okra while still hot.
Table of Contents
How To Cook Frozen Okra?
There are many good ways to cook frozen okra. You can cook it in a large skillet, in the oven, in the air fryer, or even try deep frying. The easiest way is to roast it in the oven for up to 45 minutes at 425 degrees F, and serve hot!
Let’s go over some different ways to cook frozen okra. We included several delicious new recipes, so keep reading!
How To Cook Frozen Okra In Air Fryer?
Frozen breaded okra cooked in the air fryer will have a crispy texture and full flavor.
- Add breaded frozen okra into the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Spray them with oil.
- Cook them at 400 degrees F for 7 minutes.
- Remove the basket and shake the okra.
- Cook for another 7 minutes or until golden brown.
How To Cook Frozen Okra In The Oven?
For this okra recipe, you will need whole frozen okra. Then, follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F
- Line the baking tray with a parchment paper
- Mix the whole okra with onion powder, red chili powder, salt, and pepper, and add some olive oil (use a large bowl)
- Put the mixture onto the baking tray and into the oven
- Bake for 15 minutes and use a spatula to flip okra so that it bakes evenly
- After you flipped okra, continue baking for another 15 minutes
How To Cook Frozen Okra Without The Slime?
No one likes eating okra slime, but fortunately, there are some tips to avoid your okra being slimy:
- Pre-cook okra at high temperatures, before cooking them further on a lower temp.
- Cut the frozen okra into larger pieces rather than small ones.
- Don’t wash okra pieces until you plan to start cooking.
- Always pat-dry after washing.
- Add some acid-based ingredients to the recipe, such as vinegar and wine. Also, cayenne pepper, cumin, and chili pepper can help reduce the slime.
How To Cook Frozen Okra On The Stove?
- Put the oiled skillet on a medium-high heat
- Add frozen cut okra, garlic, salt, pepper, and adobo seasoning
- Cook for 10 minutes until tender and lightly brown, and don’t forget to stir periodically
- Serve fried okra with rice, meat, or other vegetables of your choice
How To Cook Frozen Okra And Tomatoes?
- Heat a frying pan on a medium-high heat
- Add chopped bacon and cook until it’s crisp
- Remove the cooked bacon from the pan
- Add onions to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Add the okra, canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low
- Cook for another 15-20 minutes and cover with crispy bacon
How To Cook Frozen Okra Indian Style?
- Oil the saute pan and heat over medium heat
- Add cumin seeds, serrano pepper, and onions
- Saute for 10 minutes or until the onions begin to brown
- Add minced garlic and ginger
- Add one more tablespoon of oil and frozen sliced okra
- Stir-fry to 10-12 minutes, or until okra becomes crispy and dry
How To Cook Frozen Okra Curry?
- Preheat the oiled saute pan on medium heat and add the sliced onion
- Cook the onion for 0 minutes with constant stirring
- Add chopped garlic and ginger and saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add turmeric, chili powder, smoked paprika, and coriander
- Saute for 1 minute and stir so the ingredients mix well
- Add 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, 1/4 cup of water, and frozen okra
- Stir all the ingredients, cover again, and let simmer for 4-5 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper and serve
How To Cook Frozen Okra For Gumbo?
- Oil large Dutch oven or soup pot and heat over medium-high heat
- Slice two hot Italian sausages into small pieces and add to oil
- Fry the sausages for 6-8 minutes and remove them from the oil when done
- Slice 6-6 chicken thighs into bite-size pieces and add them to the pot
- Fry them for 6-8 minutes and remove them from the oil when done
- Add 3 tbsp of butter to the pot and melt
- Add 1/3 cup of flour to the butter, and stir it until it starts becoming brown
- Add celery, onions, peppers, garlic, and seasoning, and cook for 6-8 minutes
- Gradually add 4 cups of chicken broth with constant stirring, so the flour dissolves evenly
- Add frozen okra and previously prepared chicken and sausage
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for another 30-60 minutes
- The longer you cook, the tastier it will be
Should Frozen Okra Be Thawed Before Cooking?
You don’t need to thaw frozen okra before cooking. If you decide to defrost frozen okra before cooking, they will be slimy and not as crispy and delicious as they would be if you cooked them while still frozen.
Is Frozen Okra As Good As Fresh Okra?
Still, frozen okra is just as good as fresh okra, and some cooks even prefer frozen okra over fresh one. The only difference is that frozen okra will take more time to cook than fresh okra.
How Long Does Frozen Okra Take To Cook?
To cook okra, you will need 15 minutes in the air fryer, 35-45 minutes when roasting in the oven, and 10-15 minutes on the stove. Take these cooking times into account the next time you feel like craving okra and can’t wait to eat it!
How to cook frozen okra – do you know now how to do it? Just spread it in one layer over the baking sheet, season it with some salt and pepper, and let it roast for 35-45 minutes at 425 degrees F. You can also prepare it in the air fryer, skillet, and as a part of the meat- and vegetable-based recipes. The possibilities are endless, and make sure to share your favorite okra recipe in the comments!