Do you want to know how to cook hog jowl? Well, the best way to cook hog jowl is in the oven. For oven cooking the jowl, simply place the jowl slices on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350° F oven. Cook the pork jowl for 10-15 minutes, flipping the jowl meat frequently to prevent burning.
Want to discover all the secrets for making the best hog jowl? Keep on reading!
What do you do with pig jowl?
If you saw pork jowl at your local grocery store and you’re wondering what to do with it, you’re on the right page. So, what’s hog jowl?
Jowl meat, frequently referred to as jowl bacon, is a cured pork product obtained not from the pork belly but from what is considered the pig’s cheek. This tough cut is usually is cooked as thick-cut bacon, and its cured and smoked meat is used for many different preparations, pretty much as regular bacon.
Hog jowl slices can be fried and eaten just like bacon or in a typical, tasty South dish, prepared on News Year’s Day paired with beans and peas.
As an inspiration, here is an Asian style hob jowl recipe:
How do you cook hog jowls slices in the oven?
One way to cook smoked and cured pork jowl slices is by baking them in the oven.
Here’s my method for baking delicious pork jowl and how to prevent burning for oven cooking:
1. Spread the hog jowl slices on a baking sheet or roasting pan.
2. Place the pan in a preheated 350 ° F oven and cook the pork jowl bacon for about 10-15 minutes at the same oven temperature. Turning the jowl meat slices every few minutes will prevent the pork jowl bacon from burning.
3. Continue oven cooking the jowl, dry the excess grease during baking and remove the cooked hog jowl slices when brown and crispy.
How do you cook whole jowl in the oven?
When you buy hog jowl from the grocery store, it usually comes already sliced, but sometimes you will find it still whole.
In order to cook hog jowl, whether you want to prepare it on the stove or in the oven, you need to slice it into your preferred thickness. Then preheat your oven at 350°F and bake your hog jowl for about 10-15 minutes (cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the slices).
Once your pork jowl is crispy and golden brown, remove it from the oven and serve!
How to cook hog jowl in the microwave?
Cooking hog jowl in the microwave is the best way to get a delicious snack in a mess-free way. Let’s see how you do it.
To make crispy pork jowls in the microwave, you need to slice the hog jowl then place it on a microwave-safe dish. Be careful to place between each slice a sheet of microwave-safe paper towels. Cook your pork jowl for 4 to 6 minutes until the slices are golden and super crispy!
How long do you boil hog jowl?
Hog jowl is a popular ingredient in many food traditions, and one way of cooking pork jowl bacon is by boiling it in hot water.
To prepare the hog jowl, follow these simple steps:
1. Lay the hog jowl in a large casserole or Dutch oven, then add water to cover the whole hog jowl and heat at medium heat
2. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat
3. Simmer the pork jowls for 45 minutes until the pork jowl is tender
How do you make hog jowl in the microwave?
Can you air Fry hog jowl?
Are you looking for an easy way to make delicious, finger-licking pork jowl bacon? Here’s my method for cooking jowl meat in the air fryer :
1. Place your hog jowl in a single layer in your air fryer basket
2. Turn on your air fryer and set it at 350° F and cook the pork jowl bacon for about 10 minutes
3. After the 10 minutes cooking time, check your pork jowl bacon: if it’s crispy as desired, remove it from the fryer, otherwise cook it another couple of minutes
4. Serve your hog jowl bacon with black-eyed peas, collard greens, or mashed potatoes!
How to cook pork jowl bacon and black-eyed peas?
What’s better than smoked and cured pork jowl bacon and black-eyed peas to celebrate New Year’s Day? If you’re keen on food traditions, then you’re in for a treat. Here’s my recipe for the traditional Southern hog jowl:
1. Place your thin slices of smoked hog jowls in a warm skillet or uncovered pan
2. Cook your pork jowls on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, turning the jowl meat frequently to prevent burning
3. Once you’re done cooking the jowl bacon, remove the cured cheeks bacon strips from the pan and enjoy!
Don’t throw away the bacon grease: you can store it in the fridge and use it to add that typically smoked flavor to lots of dishes!
How to make pork jowl bacon?
Making the jowl bacon is easy, and there are many ways to cook this deliciously tender meat obtained from pork cheeks.
To slice the hog jowl, use a sharp knife and slice the jowl as thick as you like: in strips if you want to fry it or in chunks, if you’d like to season beans or lentils with it.
Wrap any leftover in plastic, then aluminum foil, and store in the freezer.
What does pork jowl bacon taste like?
Pork jowl bacon, often called jowl bacon, is pork cut obtained not from cured pork belly, but the pig’s cheek: it’s called “guanciale” in Italy, from “guancia” which is the cheek.
This smoked and cured pork product is not lean meat: it is usually fatter than regular bacon and has a silky, smooth texture.
Cooking the jowl bacon in slices or chunks with peas or lentil dishes is the best way to enhance its full smoky flavor.
Now you know how to cook hog jowl! The best way is to bake it at 350F for about 15 minutes. Depending on their thickness.