How to cook pinwheel steaks? Take your tenderized skirt or flank steak and spread the filling all over it. The filling can contain anything from herbs, spices, melted cheese, garlic, or whatever you like. Roll the steak and use toothpicks to secure the roll. Roast it for 35-40 minutes on a roasting pan at 400 degrees F. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, and then remove the toothpicks and serve.
There are several other ways to cook pinwheel steaks, so read this article if you want to learn a great flank steak pinwheels recipe!
How To Cook Pinwheel Steaks
- Cut the flank steak evenly on a cutting board with a sharp knife in several pieces, so it’s 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Drizzle meat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Make the filling from provolone cheese, spinach, chopped garlic, olive oil, and flat-leaf parsley.
- Pour some lemon zest over flank steaks.
- Cover the meat with the filling and roll the steak.
- Secure the rolls with toothpicks or use the kitchen twine.
- While you are preparing the meat, preheat the roasting pan (or cast iron pan) to 400 degrees F.
- Roast the pinwheel steaks for 35-40 minutes or until they reach desired doneness.
- Don’t forget to flip them carefully with a spatula, and you can add some red wine while roasting.
- Use the instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature. Medium rare pinwheel steak should have an internal temperature of 160 degrees F, and well-done should have 170 degrees F.
How To Cook Pinwheel Steaks in Oven
You can also cook steak pinwheels in the oven on medium-high heat. If you are curious how to bake pinwheel steaks, follow these steps:
- Simply prepare the meat like in the previous paragraph.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place large pinwheels in an oven-safe baking tray and put them in a preheated oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Take the pinwheel steaks out of the oven, cover them with aluminum foil and let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove pieces of twine or toothpicks and serve.
How To Cook Pinwheel Steaks On The Grill
- Take the butterflied flank steak, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle it with parmesan cheese.
- Put a bit of lemon zest over the steak.
- Add parsley, and if you like garlic, chop 3-4 cloves. Garlic will give a nice aroma and flavor to the steak.
- Roll the steak and tie it up with the kitchen twine.
- Preheat your charcoal or gas grill to 500-600 degrees F.
- Place pinwheels on the grill and cook them for 6 minutes on each side.
- When each side has browned, take the meat off the grill and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove twine and serve.
How To Cook Pinwheel Steaks In Air Fryer
- Take the meat out of the refrigerator, place it in a plastic wrap, and tenderize it with the meat mallet.
- Cut the meat into several strips.
- Drizzle each strip with olive oil, lemon zest, and put in the filling of your choice.
- Roll the strips into pinwheels and tie them up with kitchen twine.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Place the pinwheels in the air fryer basket and cook them for 15 minutes.
- Don’t forget to carefully flip them halfway through the cooking time.
- After they are cooked, let them sit for 5 minutes and free them from the twine pieces.
How To Prepare Pinwheel Steak
Your steak needs to be tenderized and cut with a sharp knife, so it’s 1/4-1/2 inch thick. This way, it will be easy to roll in the shape of the pinwheel. Then, prepare the filling. You can prepare the filling however you like it, but we suggest that you use these ingredients:
- Provolone cheese/parmesan cheese.
- Salt and pepper for seasoning (You can use sea salt and black pepper).
- Olive oil.
- Several chopped garlic cloves.
- Zest from one lemon.
After you gather all the ingredients:
- Season each piece of meat with salt and pepper and pour lemon zest over it.
- Brush it with olive oil.
- Spread the cheese, spinach, and garlic evenly.
- Sprinkle with some parsley and rosemary.
- Roll the pinwheels and tie them up with kitchen twine. You can also use toothpicks to secure the roll.
Now your pinwheel steaks are ready to be cooked. In the previous paragraphs, we discussed different ways to cook pinwheel steaks. You just need to choose what works the best for you.
How To Cook Pinwheel Skirt Steak
Skirt steaks are a bit tougher cut than the flank steaks and have a more intense flavor. However, they can still be used to make steak pinwheels. You just need to do the following:
- Season the skirt steak with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest, parmesan cheese, and parsley.
- Roll each skirt into a pinwheel and tie them with kitchen twine.
- Preheat the grill to 500 degrees F.
- Place the steak pinwheels on the grill grate.
- Grill for 8 minutes on each side until both sides are nicely browned.
- Remove the pinwheels from the kitchen twine and let sit for 5 minutes.
So, do you know now how to cook pinwheel steaks! Basically, you need to take tenderized pieces of meat, fill them with the pinwheel filling, and then roll them and secure the roll with toothpicks or kitchen twine. Roast them for 35-40 minutes on a roasting pan at 400 degrees F. After they are done, let them sit for 5 minutes and remove toothpicks/twine.
Serve at your next dinner party or for any other special occasions. Your friends and family will love these recipes! And how do you cook a pinwheel steak? Write your favorite pinwheel steaks recipes in the comments!