Have you ever wondered how to cook barracuda fish? There are plenty of options, but in this case the less is more. Put it on a preheated pan for 4 minutes on each side (depending on the piece thickness) or in the preheated oven at 345F for 20-30 minutes, just with a bit of olive oil.
Of course, there is more than one way to cook barracuda fish, and in this article, we will explore every single one of them. Interested? Well then keep on reading.
How to Cook Barracuda On The Grill?
The easiest way to cook delicious and juicy fish is on the grill. Most people prefer it, as it requires just a few easy steps and not more than 3 ingredients. Here’s the recipe:
- Mix some lemon zest, olive oil, and chopped parsley together in a large bowl. Then add some salt and black pepper to the mix.
- Place the barracuda fillets in a dish and then pour the new mixture over them. It’s best to leave them to marinate for at least a couple of hours or a whole day.
- Once the fish is ready, preheat your grill on high heat.
- Lay the barracuda steaks on the grill and then lower the heat to medium.
- Cover the grill and cook for about 7-8 minutes. Then flip the steaks and cook for another 7-8 minutes or until you see that the inner flesh is ready.
- Remove the fish from the grill, leave it to rest for a minute and then pour over the remaining olive oil mixture.
And that’s it – you have a perfectly cooked fish fillet. In order to make the meal complete, you can consider grilling some potatoes or asparagus to go with the barracuda.
How to Cook Barracuda In The Oven?
Cooking barracuda fish in the oven can be a little tricky. You don’t want to simply roast it, as the effect would be the same as if you simply put it on the grill. Instead, when cooking in the oven, you may want to spice the taste up a bit. Here’s a simple recipe that you can follow in order to do that:
- Start by preheating your oven to 425°F. Then take the baking dish and lightly oil it up.
- Make sure your fish fillets are completely dry by patting them with a paper towel. Season them with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Place the barracuda filets in the baking dish and sprinkle it with olive oil.
- Cook them in the oven for around 8-10 minutes until they’re almost cooked through. Then lower the temperature to about 125-130°.
- Move the fish to a broiler for just around 3 minutes until they get crispy and brown.
Once that’s done, you can serve the barracuda with fresh parsley.
How to Cook Barracuda In An Air Fryer?
A great way to cook fish in an air fryer is to make it into fish fingers. Similar to chicken nuggets, these little pieces of fried fish make for a healthy and comforting meal. In order to make them with barracuda, follow the below steps:
- You can leave the barracuda fillets as they are or better cut them into 2 inch wide pieces.
- In another bowl whisk one or two eggs until you have a good mixture.
- Then pour your breadcrumbs into a separate dish. In it also mix some spices – I like to go for garlic powder, paprika, pepper, and salt.
- Gently dip your fish pieces into the eggs first, then into the breadcrumbs. Try to do this slowly, as it will ensure that the breading doesn’t come off the fish before it’s fried.
- Preheat the air fryer at 380°F/193°C for 4 minutes.
- Line the tray with parchment paper and place the breaded fillets on top.
- Air fry for about 8-14 minutes depending on the thickness and size of your fillets. If you like them a little crunchier, you can also fry them for longer. Once they’re crispy brown, you can begin serving them.
Try serving with your favorite sauces and some air-fried sweet potatoes.
How to Cook Baracuda Steaks?
If you have a piece of fresh barracuda available and you’re looking for a quick way to cook it, then I believe the skillet is the best option for you. This method of preparing barracuda takes only a few simple steps:
- Get a large non-stick skillet and place it over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil to the pan and wait until it’s starting to simmer.
- Then place your fresh barracuda filet in the skillet, skin side facing down.
- Continue cooking until the skin is crisp and golden brown.
- Turn the fish over for just a minute to seal the meat and keep it tender.
Serve with some fresh french fries and a bit of mayonnaise.
How To Cook Fresh Barracuda?
When you have a fresh barracuda, ignore any fancy sauces. Fresh barracuda is fantastic just when fried on a pan with a bit of oil (for roughly 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of your steak). Or when in the oven for 30 min at 345F (again, taking into consideration if you are cooking whole fish or just the filet or steaks).
So just put a bit of olive oil either in aluminum foil if you will bake it or on the pan, if you fry it, and cook it. Season lightly with salt and pepper after it is nicely cooked through.
Barracuda combines well with Italian dressing, or you can add some diced tomatoes with green onions and lemon juice or lime juice when you are serving it.
How To Cook Pacific Barracuda?
In the same manner as any other barracuda. You can put it under Italian dressing, you can put just with a bit of olive oil for about half an hour in the oven, maybe just adding greens onions, and lemon juice when the fish is ready to serve.
A great barracuda can be cooked just with an addition of soy sauce or just with a bit of salt and pepper when it is cooked.
How To Clean and Cook Barracuda?
Here is how you can clean barracuda:
- Wash the fish in the water, wash gills too.
- Cut the belly of the fish open, but not too deeply, you just need to cut the skin to get to the insides.
- Get all the guts out from the internal cavity.
- Wash thoroughly with cold water again.
- You will need to separate it into steaks or big chunks (or you can cook it whole but on the grill or open fire so it fits).
As for cooking the cleaned barracuda, there are many tips in this post that you can go with, so try any that seems the tastiest to you.
Is Barracuda a Good Fish to Eat?
Yes, barracuda is an edible fish that contains a good combination of protein and healthy fats.
How Do You Prepare Barracuda to Eat?
There are plenty of ways to prepare barracuda to eat – you can grill it, fry it or bake it in the oven. Barracuda is most often eaten in the form of a steak.
What Does Barracuda Fish Taste Like?
The barracuda is a very flavourful fish that tastes like a wild tuna with a slightly sweeter undertone. It is own for having a stronger “fish” taste, but it’s not as intense as anchovies.
Is Barracuda Good for Grilling?
Yes, barracuda is good for grilling. It’s easy to cook it on the grill with just some lime juice and freshly ground black pepper and you can have your barracuda steak ready to eat in around 10 minutes’ time.
How To Cook Barracuda NZ?
There is no difference between cooking a barracuda in New Zealand and any other place. Check out the part on clearing the barracuda and follow it with simple grilling, frying, or baking in the oven, putting a bit of teriyaki marinade on it. Everything will work great!
Now you know how to cook barracuda. You can pan-fry it for 5-10 minutes while turning (depending on the thickness of the steak) or bake it in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. Just with a bit of olive oil and some light seasoning when it is cooked. You don’t need any special equipment, only a few good recipes.
If you often go fishing in regions where the great barracuda can be found, then you have to certainly learn some of the ones I shared, so you can be eating the best kind of fish possible.