How To Cook Elk Roast?
How to cook elk roast? In a small bowl, combine the butter with herbs and spices of your choice (salt, parsley, pepper, thyme, oregano, rosemary, whichever you like). Rub the entire elk roast with a butter-spice mixture and brown it in a large skillet over medium heat for 8 minutes. Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees F. Let the elk roast rest for 10 minutes, then cut it against the grain and serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.
The tips that you see below apply to different cuts of elk. You can have your roast in steak shapes or roast a bigger chunk of meat, so times will need to be adjusted accordingly
How To Cook Elk Roast?
Cooking wild game meats seems like a challenge for many people, but it can be pretty simple if you do it like this:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine butter with herbs and spices of your choice. We recommend kosher salt and pepper, along with some parsley and rosemary.
- Rub the entire roast with the butter mixture and sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large, oiled skillet over medium heat.
- Place the elk roast into the skillet and brown it for 8 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and place it into the oven.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- Let the elk roast cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
If you have a bigger piece of meat, the guide below will be for you!
How To Cook Elk Roast In Oven?
This elk roast recipe is a bit simpler than the previous one:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the elk roast on the baking tray and bake it in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While the elk roast is baking, baste it with the bacon grease or duck fat every few minutes so that it retains its moisture.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving and slicing.
How To Cook Elk Roast In Crock Pot?
If you like slow cooking, you should try cooking elk roast in a crockpot:
- Season the roast with salt and pepper, and brown it in a skillet for 5 minutes.
- Place the browned roast into the slow cooker and add one can of beef broth, 4 cups of chopped carrots, 3 cups of chopped onions, 2 cups of sliced mushrooms, 1 cup of cut celery, 2 tbsps of tomato sauce, 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, two sprigs of fresh thyme, and one tablespoon of chopped garlic.
- Season everything with salt and pepper to taste and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- When the roast is cooked, dissolve 2 tbsps of cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsps of cold water in a small bowl.
- Add the dissolved cornstarch mixture to the crockpot and cook for five more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for another 5 minutes before serving.
How To Cook Elk Roast In Instant Pot?
- Turn on the instant pot and place several bacon slices onto the bottom.
- The bacon will release its grease after 5 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the pot.
- Season the elk roast with salt and pepper and put it into the instant pot.
- Let it brown in bacon grease for 5 minutes on each side.
- After the elk roast is browned, remove it from the instant pot and set it aside.
- Chop the vegetables of your choice into the instant pot: carrots, onions, mushrooms.
- Saute the vegetables until they become translucent.
- Return the elk roast back to the pot and cook everything together for 1-2 hours.
- Quickly release the pressure and remove the roast from the pot.
How To Cook Elk Roast On Traeger?
- Preheat Traeger to 225 degrees F.
- Season the elk roast with salt and pepper.
- Place the elk roast into Traeger.
- Cook for 4 hours.
How To BBQ Elk Roast?
- Preheat the BBQ to 225 degrees F.
- Season the entire roast with salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 1 hour per pound.
- When done, wrap the elk roast in foil and let it rest for 15 minutes.
How Long To Cook Elk Roast?
The cooking time for the elk roast depends on the size of the meat and the cooking temperature. Smaller cuts take less time to get fully cooked than larger ones. If you decide to cook elk roast in the oven, you will need 8 minutes to brown it and 20 minutes to bake it. The instant pot takes 1-2 hours to fully cook elk roast, and if you have enough time and patience to cook elk roast for up to 8 hours, a crockpot is your perfect choice!
How To Cook Elk Shoulder Roast?
- Rub the elk shoulder roast with salt, black pepper, and olive oil.
- Place it in the preheated smoker at 200 degrees F.
- Cook for 6-8 hours.
- After done, wrap it in two layers of foil and let sit for 15 minutes.
How To Cook Elk Rump Roast?
- Make a marinade for your elk rump roast by mixing butter, salt, black pepper, adobo sauce, ground cumin, and coriander.
- Marinate the elk rump roast for 12-24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and put the marinated elk rump roast into the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
How Should Elk Be Cooked?
Elk shouldn’t be overcooked, as it will become too dry because it doesn’t contain a lot of fat. The ideal internal temperature for elk roast is 130 to 140 degrees F, so you should always use a meat thermometer to check it.
Is Elk Tough Or Tender?
Elk meat can be tender when cooked properly, but it can also get tough if you cook it too much. As already said, elk meat contains very little fat, and it dries fast when cooked for too long.
How Do You Make Elk Meat Tender?
- You can marinate elk meat in lemon juice or vinegar.
- Also, you can use a meat tenderizer to more elk meat more tender when cooked.
- Don’t overcook it. Try to cook it fast and at high temperatures.
What Does Elk Taste Like?
Elk meat tastes similar to beef, and it has a clean taste with just a little hint of sweetness. Many describe its taste as rich but mild, and it contains very little gamey flavor. That’s why you can eat it for every occasion, even for Christmas dinner! Its taste doesn’t get too strong or boring over time.
Now you know how to cook elk roast! You learned that the best way to cook elk roast is to brown it in a large skillet for several minutes, then transfer it to the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees F. There are also other great ways to cook elk meat, in a crockpot, in an instant pot, or even in a smoker.
You can also serve elk meat with various side dishes: mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower, with carrots, mushrooms, and other vegetables, and you can even serve it with egg noodles! And how about you, how do you cook an elk roast?