How To Cook Vienna Sausages?
How to cook Vienna sausages? Place a small skillet on medium heat. Open the can with sausages and pull the Vienna sausages out of the chicken broth. Place the sausages onto the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes. Serve with pasta and soy sauce or mustard and seasonings of your choice.
Vienna sausages are already cooked, and when you further cook them, you are just reheating them so that you don’t eat them cold. However, there are many ways to reheat and eat Vienna sausages. You can eat them with some sauce, as Vienna sausage corn dogs, or with some veggies, pasta, or fried rice. Read this article for more Vienna sausage recipes!
These sausages are usually made with pork, beef, or mechanically separated chicken.
To cook these sausages simply place a small skillet on the stovetop and heat, or heat in hot (not boiling) water.
You can also fry viennas or cook them in the microwave and eat them with scrambled eggs or as a hot dog.
Follow our tips and your Vienna sausages will be perfectly cooked every time!
How To Cook Vienna Sausage?
You can bake it, fry it, use an air fryer, grill it or boil it – everything will yield a great meal. In this post, we will go over the most popular ways to cook the Vienna sausage. My personal favorites are pan-frying and baking in the oven – both will get you that nice crispy exterior.
Here is a tip for a Vienna sausage breakfast!
How do you cook Viennese frankfurts?
Since they have a long shelf life, they are a real pantry staple and there are many ways to enjoy these sausages.
We are going to go through each method and cooking time to cook these “frankfurter würstel”:
- Cook Vienna sausages on the grill for 5-7 minutes
- Boil sausages in hot water for 4-5 minutes
- Microwave sausages for 2 minutes on medium-high heat
- You can cook Vienna sausage in a pan on medium heat for 5 minutes
- Bake your hot dogs in the oven for 15 minutes
What is the best way to eat Vienna sausages?
Vienna sausage basically tastes like potted meat and there are many ways to cook this hot dog.
There are a lot of good recipes with Vienna sausages: our prime example is sliced sausages cooked with onions and served with bread.
These sausages won’t get super crispy, since Vienna sausages don’t have casings, but after a few minutes, they’ll be perfectly made and tasty, ready to be served.
Should you cook Vienna sausage?
When you buy Vienna sausages from the grocery store or the market, they are already cooked, so it’s not necessary to cook them.
Are Vienna sausages bad if you eat them cold? Of course not.
Vienna sausages taste good and can be eaten cold. Just think of sausages in cold hot dogs, or even cold sausages sliced up and served as an appetizer!
Canned Vienna sausages have a long shelf life so they should always be in your pantry, in case you need quick and tasty food.
Libby’s Vienna Sausage is stocked in chicken broth, so if you don’t heat these sausages up, you will find a gelatinous liquid sticking to your sausage, which may make it unpleasant.
Can Vienna Sausage be fried?
Yes, Vienna sausages, like hot dogs, can be fried.
Of course, these sausages don’t have casings that will get super crispy.
To get a little texture place a small piece of bitter or a drizzle of olive oil and fry.
Follow these steps to perfectly fry Vienna sausages:
- Slice sausage lengthwise
- Heat olive oil or butter in a pan, add minced garlic
- Fry the sausages for a couple of minutes, until they get a light brown color
- Remove from the heat and serve with ketchup, mustard, or bbq sauce
How To Cook Vienna Sausage In Can?
When you want to cook Vienna sausages, you need to take them out of their can. Although, you could try cooking Vienna sausages while still in the can by filling a large pot with water and bringing it to a boil. Then place the can with Vienna sausages in the boiling water, and cook for 10-15 minutes.
How do you cook Vienna sausage in an air fryer?
Cooking Vienna sausage in an air fryer is easy and quick. Here are some tips to cook your hot dog:
- Add a bit of oil to the bottom of the fryer to prevent sausages from sticking.
- Preheat the fryer and heat it over medium, around 350° F
- While the fryer heats up, pierce the sausages with a fork. This will help the cooking of the sausage
- Cook Vienna sausages for 8-10 minutes. Try not to cook a large quantity of sausages all at one time, otherwise, the sausages won’t’ cook evenly
- Eat Vienna sausage warm
How do you cook Vienna sausage in a pan?
Cooking Vienna sausage in a pan is a super-easy way to prepare the typical wiener würstchen or hot dogs.
Follow these steps:
- Cut a Vienna sausage in circles and put it in a pan on medium-high heat.
- For a complete meal, you can add corn, green peppers, onions, or chicken breast.
- Serve warm, pair with french bread, and dress with your favorite sauce.
- Oil the pan with a few drops of vegetable oil.
- Take the desired amount of Vienna sausages out of the can.
- Place the Vienna sausages on the heated pan and fry them for 3-4 minutes or until they become hot and browned.
- Don’t forget to stir them occasionally.
How do you bake Vienna sausage in the oven?
Vienna sausages are a very popular dish, not only in the swiss german area but all around the world. Just think of hot dogs!
Vienna sausage can be baked in the oven on a baking tray or casserole for 15 minutes in a preheated oven, at 350° F.
Once you remove the sausages from the oven you can simply enhance their natural flavors with some black pepper.
Eat Vienna sausages with toasted bread and ketchup or mustard for a quick and tasty TV dinner!
How To Cook Vienna Sausage Jamaican Style?
- Chop one onion and one tomato into small pieces.
- If you like spicy food, you can also chop 1 Scotch bonnet pepper.
- Preheat a wide pan over medium heat and add a few drops of vegetable oil.
- Cook chopped onion and tomato in the pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Vienna sausages to the pan, together with 1 tbsp of ketchup, a pinch of black pepper, and a chopped Scotch bonnet (if you plan to use it in the recipe).
- Turn the heat down to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and sprinkle with 1 tbsp of finely chopped parsley.
How to cook Vienna sausage in a rice cooker?
Vienna sausage is the fundamental ingredient for Arroz con salchichas, a typical Cuban recipe.
You can easily cook this dish following these directions:
- Place a small skillet on medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil, garlic, green peppers, onions, and a pinch of tomato paste.
- After 10 minutes add the sliced sausages and let them turn brown
- Fill up your rice cooker with the mixed ingredients, your rice, and water. Start the cooker and wait for it to finish.
How do you cook Vienna sausage in the microwave?
Vienna sausages can be heated and cooked in the microwave in no time, which makes them the perfect TV snack.
To enjoy your hot dog you just need to heat your canned Vienna sausages in a covered microwave-safe dish for a couple of minutes.
Depending on the power of your microwave maybe you’ll need to adjust the temperature and time setting.
- Pour Vienna sausages with a bit of chicken broth from the can into the microwave-safe dish.
- Cover the dish and place it into the microwave.
- Set the microwave to high and cook for 1 minute.
How To Cook Vienna Sausage Reddit?
There are several recipes on Reddit with Vienna sausages. Some suggest frying them in a pan and then putting them into a french bread with some lettuce, mayonnaise, and cheese to make a sandwich.
Some Redditors prefer to make scrambled eggs with Vienna sausages: they cut Vienna sausages into circles, throw them into a heated pan, beat some eggs, and pour them over Vienna sausages in the pan. You can even add some chopped bacon, onions, or green peppers.
Others cook Vienna sausages in hot (not boiling water) for 5-10 minutes, then serve with potato salad and mustard.
Also, several users make them like small hot dogs. They cut bread loaves into shorter buns and place boiled Vienna sausages inside together with some ketchup and mustard.
How do you cook Vienna sausage with tomato sauce?
Vienna sausages can be cooked with tomato sauce and beans to make a delicious stew.
To make this simple recipe you just need to follow these steps:
- Put onions, and garlic in a large pan and saute on the stovetop and heat.
- Add the sauce, beans, salt, and pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place the sliced sausages in the pan, dress with soy sauce and cook for 10 minutes.
- Your stew is ready to be served, you can pair it with toasted bread or croutons.
What Is The Best Way To Cook Vienna Sausages?
- Slice Vienna sausages in 1/2″ pieces.
- Heat the pan over medium heat.
- Saute the sausages with one small can of tomato sauce, onions, garlic, and seasoning. Then pour everything into a rice cooker together with rice and water, and stir.
- Cook until the rice gets well cooked.
If this recipe sounds boring, you should try making Vienna sausage pigs. It is basically a sausage rolled in the dough. For the quickly made dough, you can use boxed corn muffin mix.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin until it becomes 1/8-1/4″ thick. It needs to be evenly thick.
- Cut the dough into 1″ wide strips, long enough to be rolled around the sausages.
- Make the egg wash by beating one egg.
- Roll the sausages into the dough, place them on a baking sheet, and brush them with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle them with a pinch of sea salt and sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Do You Have To Heat Up Vienna Sausages?
You don’t have to heat up Vienna sausages. They can be eaten cold because they are already cooked. Although it sounds weird, some people actually like to eat cold sausages.
Can You Eat Vienna Sausage Straight Out Of The Can?
Yes, you can, but they will be cold and covered in brine. However, as mentioned, some people eat Vienna sausages this way, and they consider them a delicacy!
Why Are Vienna Sausages Bad For You?
Vienna sausages (and potted meat in general) contain high levels of salt, fat, and preservatives that are not great when consumed in large doses.
Now you know how to cook Vienna sausages. They are already cooked, so you basically need to reheat them, and the easiest way to do so is to preheat a small skillet over medium heat, then add Vienna sausages and fry them for 3-4 minutes. These tasty little sausages go exceptionally well with various sauces, like bbq and soy sauce, and you can serve them with your favorite pasta or vegetables.
How about you? Do you have a cool yet simple recipe for making Wiener Würstchen?