How to cook bottom round steak? The best way to cook a bottom-round steak is in the cast iron skillet. Tenderize the meat with a meat mallet or other meat tenderizer, heat the skillet with a little bit of olive oil or butter, and place the steak on the skillet. Cook on each side for 3 minutes.
The bottom round steak is a beef meat cut that comes from the rump and hind legs. It has a tight grain which makes it a tough cut. That’s why you need to properly tenderize this lean cut of meat before you proceed to cook it. Keep reading this article to learn more!
Table of Contents
How To Cook Bottom Round Steak?
This recipe will show you how to cook round steak:
- Make a marinade from lemon juice, olive oil, onion powder, minced garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Tenderize the meat with a meat mallet and place it into the marinade overnight.
- Place your iron cast skillet on the heat source over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- While the butter melts, remove the meat from the marinade.
- Once the butter is hot, lay the steak on the skillet and cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip the meat and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- By then, the meat will be cooked with browned bits on the outside.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and Worcestershire sauce.
How To Cook Bottom Round Steak On The Stove?
You can also use bottom-round steak meat to make a delicious beef stew.
- Cut the meat into small cubes and season with salt and pepper.
- On a stove, heat a medium-sized pot oiled with olive oil.
- Chop 1 onion and add to the pot.
- Stir fry for 30 seconds until the onion becomes fragrant.
- Add meat cubes and cook them for a minute.
- Add beef broth, stir everything together, and close the lid.
- Increase to heat to medium-high heat.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then add chopped carrots, potatoes, and green peas.
- Cook for another 30 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika.
How To Cook Bottom Round Steak Thin Sliced?
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tsp of each one of these spices: ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, paprika, ground cumin, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground coriander and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix all the spices well.
- Cut the meat into thin slices.
- Coat the thinly sliced steaks in the spice mix on both sides.
- Preheat the iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the oil becomes hot, sear the steaks one by one, 1-2 minutes per side.
- Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes before serving.
How To Cook Bottom Round Steak In Oven?
This round steak recipe will show you how to cook bottom round steak in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place the steak on the deep baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 can of beef broth, 1 package of brown gravy sauce, and 1 cup of water.
- Pour the mixture over the meat.
- Bake the meat for 3 hours.
How To Cook Bottom Round Steak In Pan?
Thin slices of bottom round steak can be cooked in a pan over medium heat, but it is easy to overcook them, which in turn makes the meat tough and chewy. To avoid that, tenderize the meat before cooking.
Season with spices of your choice, and then place it in the preheated oil. Sear on both sides for 1-2 minutes and allow to rest covered with aluminum foil for 5 minutes before serving.
How To Cook Bottom Round Steak In Crock Pot?
If you prefer slow cooking methods, try this recipe:
- Spray the crockpot with cooking oil.
- Cut the steak into 5-6 smaller serving pieces.
- Place the meat into the crockpot.
- Add 1 can of onion soup, 1 can of creamy mushroom soup, and 1 cup of water.
- Cover the lid and cook for 6-8 hours.
How To Cook Bottom Round Steak Tender?
- Place your cooking pot over medium-high heat and drizzle with cooking oil.
- Once the oil becomes hot, add the steak.
- Cook in the hot oil until the steak becomes browned on both sides.
- Add red wine or beef broth until the steak is half covered.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Once the liquid starts simmering, cover the lid.
- Cook for 2 hours.
How To Cook Bottom Round Steak Thin Sliced In The Oven?
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Thinly slice the round roast and season with seasonings of your choice.
- Lay the meat onto the baking tray and drizzle with cooking oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes on each side.
How To Cook Bottom Round Steak For Fajitas?
- Cut the top round steak into narrow pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a few drops of olive oil in a large pan or iron cast skillet.
- Add the steak meat to the pan and cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the pan, and use the same pan for cooking the vegetables for fajitas.
- Once the vegetables are fully cooked, return the meat into the pan and cook for another 90 seconds, constantly stirring.
How Long Do You Cook A Bottom Round Steak?
The cooking times for bottom round steak may vary depending on the thickness of the cut, the cooking temperature, and how well-done you prefer your meat. In general, you will need 2-3 minutes per side to cook bottom-round steak in a skillet.
The crockpot will take 6-8 hours to fully cook bottom round steak. In the oven, you will need 20 minutes to cook thinly sliced bottom round steak.
Always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the meat. This way, you will be certain that the meat is fully cooked and safe to eat. The internal temperature of the bottom-round steak should be at least 120 degrees F.
Are Bottom Round Steaks Tough?
Is the round steak tough? This meat cut is quite lean with tight grain, which means you can’t expect it to be as tender as other meat cuts. However, you can make it more tender by using a meat mallet, meat tenderizer, or by marinating it in the fridge overnight.
Is Bottom Round Steak Good For Grilling?
Bottom round steak is a versatile meat that can be cooked in several different ways. You can boil it, roast it, pan-sear it, fry it, and even slow-cook it in a crockpot. You can also grill it over medium heat on a charcoal grill. 8-20 minutes of grilling will be enough, with one flipping halfway.
- How To Cook Steak On George Foreman Grill?
- How To Cook Steak In Convection Oven?
- Cast Iron Steak Recipe
Now you know how to cook bottom-round steak. The simplest way to do so is to sear it in the iron cast skillet. Tenderize the meat with a meat mallet and season with spices of your choice. Heat cooking oil in an iron cast skillet and add the meat. Sear the meat for 3 minutes per side. Allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes before serving.